Recommendations for the lady......

Okay, I've decided to get my girlfriend a nice knife as an early Christmas present so she can use it on her 5 day backpacking trip in New Zealand next month, (she leaves the day after thanksgiving and returns on Christmas is why its "early" and asked to borrow one of mine which is another motivation for me to get her one). Before we get started, please don't suggest a pink knife. She's 5'11", very athletic, and hard on equipment so something mid-sized, (3-3.5" blade), axis or liner lock, and likely with a G10 or aluminum handle. I could even imagine a lanyard tie. None of these are set in stone, and even non-Benchmade suggestions are welcome, (I'm a fanboy, but am flexible). She likes to be able to "flick" the knife open and likes my Osborne 940 reverse tanto, as well as my 755MPR....... but those she will not be getting, (trying to keep her a notch down from me, otherwise I'll start letting "gold class" be my new standard. :rolleyes:

Considering the grip/mini grip................. possibly with the tanto blade. Any other suggestions?

For my wife I showed her the "Customize a Griptilian" page and let her built her own. She played around with all the options then I paid for the one she settled on. She ended up with a hot pink mini grip with all satin hardware and blade with combo edge and she couldnt be happier with it.

What do you want to spend? If she's going to be using these backpacking, she'll need something that's capable. If it was me, I'd send her off with a BM Rift or a BK14. In fact, if this is some serious hiking in a remote area, I might send her off with both and tell her to just put up with the extra weight. She should also take a small sharpener of some kind and practice sharpening a bit before she goes. If she liked the 940, she ought to like the Rift blade. The Becker is a very capable small FB and should also be able to handle her needs. With the TKC aftermarket scales, it's also a very comfortable user.

If you do get her a Grip, I'd go with the larger one with a 154CM blade. For outdoor stuff, my personal preference would be the standard blade shape. I don't see any advantage to a tanto blade for hiking/camping needs, especially if she has to maintain the edge in the field. Another option would be a 520, but it'll be heavy compared to the Grip or Rift.

Going to look a little harder at those two. THANKS! What about the couple of Grips out there in S30v? How does the S30V compare to the 154CM? I have knives in both, but rotate knives so much, (and my favorite edc is M390) so I really can't keep up with how each does.

I would also take a look at the 581 Barrage, great M390 steel, 3.6" blade and has the assisted opening and axis lock. I also agree that if this is for backpacking/backcountry use it may be best to go with a good fixed blade over a pocket knife. I second the notion that you need to send her off with a small sharpening stone like the spyderco double stuff or something similar and get her proficient with sharpening before she takes off. Regardless of the knife or steel this skill will be invaluable.

As much as I've tried to want it, the 581 just doesn't do it for me. I wanted ONE axis-assist, and being it was M390, I thought PERFECT! Till I held it. Felt vague, and I tried over and over to like it. Oh well. A fixed blade would be a great option, but I know she would prefer a folder..... for her first one anyway.

I second the Rift. Dies NZ have the same laws about one handed opening knives like Australia does?

Rift.

Good tough knife suitable for outdoor use like backpacking and camping in a smaller size. Also has that fantastic Reverse Tanto blade I've come to like so much.

Trust me; the best philosophy is to include her in your holiday plans by simply asking her what she wants. We could offer advice all day but if it's wrong it's wrong. It took me years to not only get my wife to carry a knife, but to actually use it. What worked was to go through my collection and in the end what she picked was much smaller than I thought, and it wasn't a Benchmade. :rolleyes:

Take her with you, let her pick it out. She just might surprise you. In the end, if you end up having Gold Class as standard fare,...sounds like a win/win.

For my wife I showed her the "Customize a Griptilian" page and let her built her own. She played around with all the options then I paid for the one she settled on. She ended up with a hot pink mini grip with all satin hardware and blade with combo edge and she couldnt be happier with it.
I agree with this. She can build it, and you can pick the steel you think would be best :thumbup:

Going to look a little harder at those two. THANKS! What about the couple of Grips out there in S30v? How does the S30V compare to the 154CM? I have knives in both, but rotate knives so much, (and my favorite edc is M390) so I really can't keep up with how each does.

BM does a good job on their S30V. There's nothing "wrong" with it, it just isn't my first choice for a rougher use, outdoor knife if something like 154CM or M4 or even 3V is available. If I'm going out with a knife that I may potentially have to trust my survival to, I prefer tough and easy to maintain over tough and harder to sharpen. S30V is tough, but it's also a bit harder to bring back a good edge on it once it starts to lose it's edge. 154CM is very tough and in my experience is easier to maintain in the field with a very basic kit and less experience.

I'm speaking just for personal preference here. It's SOP for me to go with a tough steel that gives a bit up in the edge holding department. I don't like blades that I have to nurse back to being sharp. I prefer ones that I have to sharpen more often but respond quickly when I do sharpen them. But lots of folks use S30V in just the kind of setting you're talking about and swear by it, so you gotta pick your own poison here. If she likes the feel of a knife with an S30V blade and it's something that she'll actually carry and use, I wouldn't pass it up because it's S30V.

I don't have a preference in the steel discussion (being pretty much a complete noob to the higher end steels) but the Doug Ritter version of the Grip comes with S30V if you decide to go that route. No G10 though.

Well, I went with a Griptilian with the reverse tanto blade. The local dealer I bought my 940 from knows every knife by heart and was a big help. He also welcomed me bringing her by to exchange it for anything else later. Even secretly slipped a lanyard that I was considering in the box the knife came in at no charge. I was really torn between the reverse tanto and the thumb studded spear point, but being a big fan of my 940's reverse tanto, I went that route. I even gave the Spyderco Para Military2 a shot, but because of the odd liner lock and the fact that you can't "flick" it open sans thumb assist, (she giggled after I taught her how to do that, so that would be important), that was clearly not what I wanted. I did however find a knife I liked, and would have bought it, (BM Ares Limited Edition - 300 made), but discovered that there are a few floating around in M390, and am going to hunt for that instead. (I knew this was going to happen).

Many thanks to all!

My girl friend carrys a mini grip with custom scales for her EDC.
I she were going into the woods on an extended hike and only wanted a folder.
I would suggest a full size ritter.
After all Mr. Ritter designed it for just that purpose, survival.

Very good suggestion.

Back