Recommendations

I'm looking for a simple, reliable, "sheeple" friendly, EDC knife. I'd prefer to keep it to 3 inches or below (a little over can't hurt) and plain edge.

This is going to be a utility knife and I don't have a fetish for the latest steels (ie I don't have a problem with them, but I don't consider them a "must have" either). I saw pics of the discontinued "Worker" and REALLY liked it and am also considering a Jess Horn LW and the Delica LW. I've handled a Delica LW and liked it, but have yet to handle a Jess Horn LW. Any comments on the Jess Horn?

Any others that I should look at? I want a Spyderco product because I have an Endura LW (zytel clip) that has been absolutely great.

Thanks!

Dave.

P.S. I would guess that a NIB Worker would be pretty pricey seeing as how they're discontinued. If Spyderco was going to bring a design, out of retirement ... the Worker would get my vote.

Jess Horn Lightweight C38 is an execellent knife and is one of my daily carry selections.
SMKW has a closeout price of $27.00, that should be incentive alone to buy a Spyderco without handling it.

What Anthony said.
Since I got mine my trusty Standard has been in the drawer. Why?
Lighter, sharper, better blade geometery for what I need (mostly) and of course VG10 rocks (same steel as my Fallkniven F1... what more can I say...)
SD

------------------
"I'm arm'd with more than complete steel - The justice of my quarrel." Christopher Marlowe

The Calypso Jr (lightweight, or regular, if you can find one used) is one awesome cutting machine. Beautiful and non-threatening.

The new Blue Delica is another good choice. Coloured handles seem to impart peaceful purposes...

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charlie:
Jess Horn Lightweight C38 is an execellent knife and is one of my daily carry selections.
SMKW has a closeout price of $27.00, that should be incentive alone to buy a Spyderco without handling it.
</font>

Charlie,

Based upon your profile, I'm guessing that "SMKW" is Santa Maria Knife Works. Do they have a web site? I tried "www.santamariaknifeworks.com/", but it didn't work.

Thanks!

Dave

I would put in my vote for the Calypso Jr. lightweight. It is such a nice knife. I would respectfully disagree with the Native suggestion. I think that the spearpoint blade looks a little too sinister for sheeple.

--Matt

I'll be first to recommend the Lum Chinese folder. Great steel and blade geometry. Quite elegant and innocuous. Here is a link to my mini-review of it:

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002549.html

------------------
Carlos

"..And in those days the mad prophet Glesser did come unto the knife knuts, and He did speak of The Hole, and the knife knuts did see that The Hole was good, saying 'Yea, and verily shall we carry holes all the days of our lives!'"
-- The Hole Bible, by Ken Cook

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Carlos:
I'll be first to recommend the Lum Chinese folder. Great steel and blade geometry. Quite elegant and innocuous. Here is a link to my mini-review of it:
</font>

I have to say that I like the Lum, but have never seriously considered buying one (not even for a second) because of the price. I'm not a collector and I can't justify a $176 knife. Now if a LW version came out with a reasonable price, I might reconsider (I do like the style of the knife). Btw, did you test the lock strength?

Does anybody know whether Spyderco plans to release a LW version as well as any plans to release a smaller version?

Thanks!

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Fulton (edited 05-02-2001).]

While the MSRP is $176, you'll find that the street price is around $120 to $130. Still not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

The linerlock locks up solidly, and is stronger due to being nested in the aluminum scale.

Sal mentioned the possibility of a FRN Chinese a long time ago, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Dave, you can't go wrong with any of those you mentioned, I would also look at the Native FRN. I just got the Delica, and it's my favorite out of all my Spydercos. RKBA!

I used to carry a Delica for years - great knife! Used it for everything, including cutting out outlet holes in drywall. Recently, I bought a Calypso jr. lightweight - even better knife!! I really like the flat grind, and the VG-10 steel. It is very sheeple friendly...I've gotten nary a look at work with it, and I work with people who are decidedly non knife nuts...

In the end, you'd have a really hard time picking a bad Spydie!

My vote would be for the Delica (blue) as well! I have just ordered one. I cannot understand why it took me so long to get a Delica as it is a nice small knife from Spyderco without costing a fortune. Perhaps it is because I paid the same for my 440V Naitive? However the new blue handle looks really nice (from what I have seen so far) and will make a nice change for me. I am not 100% convinced with ATS-55 though. My 98 Endura is rather rust happy. But I cannot argue with the edge holding on it. All in all a great knife!

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Back