Recon 1 clicking noise while opening?

I ordered 2 of the new XHP recon 1s, one black and one coyote tan G10 and both make a clicking noise when I'm about to open the knives fully. It sounds like the rockbar is going over a hump and clicks once it goes over it. I'm not sure what it is and would rather have some insight as I do not want to void my returnability with amazon in case it's a defect.

Has anyone else gotten this?

I've never experienced this before. You may want to call Cold Steel's customer service and let us know what they say.

Both are doing it? If it were just one I would suspect a burr, but not both.

i had the same issue for the new XHP recon 1. I bet it has to do with the new placement of the pin where the lockbar pivot around. i sent it to CS and got a replacement, and it's still doing that same click. Doesnt affect the functionality tho.
The clicking sound comes from the lockbar hitting the stop pin. When opening the knife slightly, the lockbar is not contacting the front stop pin. But as you open it further the spring gets more tension and eventual "kick" the lockbar towards the stop pin causing the noise. You can observe the movement by very slowly opening the knife.

Sounds perfectly normal to me, like a Cadillac door locking. The Tri-Ad lock is one of the strongest you can get, wonderful engineering IMHO.

Back