Recon 1 - full size or Mini?

I really want to try one of these folders but I am hard pressed trying to make up my mind between the full size Recon 1 or Mini.

Normally I would go full size but its a real brute in terms of OAL - over 9 inches! I have average size hands, glove size large.

Also I would really prefer green G-10 scales but it appears the Mini is only available in black?

Anyone have both who could throw up a pic of the two side by side?

Any other input would be appreciated!

I have a full size and it's a pocketfull, a comforting pocketfull but a pocketfull nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I've had both. If you want a blade to carry every day, you'll probably get tired of the full size. You wouldn't even notice the mini. It's a nice size and you can get a full 4 finger grip on it.

Thanks! Right now I am leaning toward the Mini in a clip point blade. It seems to have a more sensible blade to handle ratio.

If I like it I may well end up with a full size one for 'weekend' carry.

I wonder why the Mini doesn't have different scale colour options?

Have a full sized AUS-8 and mini AUS-8 both clip point. The full sized was my beater that i used for batoning, yard work, etc. The mini is a much more edc friendly size but never got around to opening it due to getting other knives.

Went from the Mini Lawman to the Mini Recon 1...for me it is the largest folder I'd want to carry, and actually think something in between them would be prefect for me. I kind of like the looks of the new ProLite, but probably too big for me...but for the price I might get one anyway to check it out.

Mini was small to me, got a prolite a week ago, perfect size. But choosing from the two recons I would go for the mini for edc. Had a full size as well, awesome awesome blade but big for me for carrying it daily. But you get a superb knife deciding anyway

Definitely leaning toward the Mini.... I think a 3 inch blade is the smallest I would want to go but its enough blade for most things.

3 inches is definitely enough blade for everyday cutting tasks. Just throwing it out there, have you looked at the code 4? Very thin handle, not g10 but aluminum, for its size it disapear in the pocket.

I edcd the xl for over 4 months with an iPhone in the same pocket. The regular is fine for a lot of people unless you wear butt huggers or something.

Here's a picture of my mini from when I still had it. I traded it for the full size and regretted it big time. I never carry the full size.

I stripped the crap coating off. It's like latex house paint.

I edcd the xl for over 4 months with an iPhone in the same pocket. The regular is fine for a lot of people unless you wear butt huggers or something.
I carry a large voyager sometimes. Its not as big feeling as it looks on paper.

I carried the xl for over a year. It was no problem carrying the thing. I just got tired of feeling ridiculous when I pulled it out to cut something. (Plus they put a 3" blade restriction in place at my work. That's why I bought the mini.)

I personally Have the Full size 4 inch. I've owned and used every Variation of the new CTS-XHP upgrades. Even some of the Coyote variations. For me, I cant stand a knife with a Blade below 3.75". I prefer 4 inches, and the Full size is pretty much perfect. Ive owned the Mini Recon on 2 different occurrences...and couldn't stand the size. Just too small for me. As well...I carry IWB, so for me the Full size isnt that big.

I'd get the full size. :)

I carried my 4" R1 for a couple months and never felt inconvienenced by it. I have large hands but mine are more like bear claws, shorter fingers with extra wide palms. The finger grooves fit but but just on the edge of tight. I tried a 3" R1 at a local shop but it was just too small for me, it sucked that such a large part of my hand hung off of the Mini.

I no longer carry the 4" R1, I switched to the CS Broken Skull. No finger grooves but the handle is same length as my 4" R1, a blade that's actually a hair longer than 4", handle that's stupid thin in the pocket (even thinner than an Endura!), comes standard with the clip point, comes in a rainbow of colors (mine is blue but green, tan, orange, grey, pink are available), mine weighed in at 3.0oz on the nose(lighter than my Endura), has a super pointy splinter picking tip, and has the same blade thickness as a 4" R1. A woman actually thought it was cute, and really liked the blue. About as sheeple friendly as the Spyderco Endura. The BS is my favorite EDC by far and it dislodged my previous EDCs the Manix 2 LW and Endura. You should check it out;)

Last edited:
I owned the full size clip point and thought it was a hell of an awesome knife. It got some pocket time but when it started shredding my pocket I decided not to carry it much. I know you can sand down or bondo the area under the clip but I didn't care. The DLC coated XHP steel is sooooo easy to strop back to stupid sharp but holds an edge very well.

It's a big knife and the pocketability was a bit of an issue for me so I sold it. I just received a pro lite clip point, and for what it's worth, for half the price it's a hell of a nice knife, and I like the stone washed blade more than the DLC...but you do get a downgrade in steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6af4da3086527710878671d2ffe1f72c.jpg

Wow, you guys rock. Thanks for all the feedback!

@115Italian - I have looked at other options but definitely prefer G10 over aluminium.

@Antdog - Awesome pic! I will admit I do like the looks of the clip point Mini a great deal.

@mastiffhound - Weird thing, I was dead set on a Broken Skull when they were first launched, then I went cold on them. But you've given me pause for thought. I am going to have to take another look at it. I would also prefer green G-10 scales to boring black and the BS does have that option.

@dkblade - I am keen to try out CTS-XHP. Never had a user in that steel, so its one reason I am targeting the Recon 1, etc. The one thing that held me back on CS folders was the steel. So since the upgrade I am definitely keen to pick up a folder. But there is such a huge choice, its been tricky deciding!

Back