Recon 1 Spear Point: Is this a defect?

I just bought a Cold Steel Recon 1 Spear Point. At one time, the lock was stuck and the blade closes all the way in but it does not stay in place and swings out loosely. I fixed this by just pulling the blade all the way out and closed it and everything was back to normal. So far, this has only happened twice and I have opened and closed it plenty of times. I'm considering returning the knife but there's no way to prove to the seller that this happened. Should I be worried about this since it might never happen again?

Something else that I noticed, if I open and close the knife the two handle pieces seem to move out from the screws a little. It's only noticeable to me because when the knife is open, I grip it, and I can feel the handle pieces closing in a little. I'm not sure if this is a defect. Should I keep this knife or return it?

That knife sounds like trouble. Something went wrong with the tension bar and it seems g10 are loose. I would return it since taking it apart could void warranty. Easy and cheap if youre in US.

I've experienced the stuck lock bar/swinging blade before with the Tri-Ad. I'm not sure what causes it. I would return it or send it in to CS warranty.

IMO return it for another. It's sounds like you have similar problems to what I had with a mini recon. I fixed mine, but I was planning on voiding the warranty right away with other mods anyway. Better to start with a good working knife.

For mine, the lock spring was catching on the aluminum back spacer causing the stick (sometimes the knife would open a hair without tension), and a metal pin in the handle was cut a hair too long (or the hole in the g10 was too shallow) causing the scales to bulge out. I fixed both, but I would still suggest returning it for another.

Back