Recommendation? Recon 1 vs Large Voyager

Why should I choose a Recon 1 drop point or the new large voyager with drop point?
What are the handle differences?What else?
I have a large voyager with clip point that is barely used but I find I just don't like a clip point.
I have never held a recon 1 and don't think there is any place nearby to see one.

thanks
Dennis

The Recon 1 handle is slimmer and a tiny bit more focused on preventing your hand sliding forward. The finger groove turns vertical on it. On the other hand it lacks the hook shaped end of the Voyager.
The spine thickness is the same on both blades, but the thickness behind the edge is much lower on the Voyager, so it's going to cut much better. (Speaking about the full flat grind AUS10 Voyager and the saber grind S35VN Recon 1.)
The blade shape between the clip point Voyager and drop point Recon 1 is actually very similar. The clip point blade is not very clipped and the drop point has a pretty prominent false edge.
The main difference is G10 vs FRN and that the Recon 1 handle is a bit flatter and wider and the Voyager handle feels much more round (narrower and thicker).
They are very similar knives.

Dennis, if you like the knife other than the clip point, then maybe the drop point is for you. Think about why you don't like the clip point. Is it point orientation in relation to the handle? I don't think you'll find much of a difference. If it is a question of stoutness, then yes, I think the drop point will be quite a lot stronger (haven't held one).

Both knives have handles and clips that will tear up your pants, but it's a simple matter to slip a paracord loop under the clip and pull a little bit at a time until you have the tension where you like it. Go slow, though because if you make it too loose, you'll have to take the clip off and bend it back the other way again. A couple pairs of pliers can get that done, or stick it in a vise.

More expensive but more premium blade steel and handle material .

Not very comparable knives really .

entry level vs. upgrade is how i always saw them but that ain't really fair. they are different feeling knives in the hand.

I like how the voyager has the thick grip. don't care for the rough pattern of the scales though. its design leads for good hold wet, even if scales were smooth.

for pocket space recon 1 leads the way.

cold steels aus10 is pretty good though. it doesn't scare me away on a decision between those two.

Welcome, A member since 2008 and this is your first post! Talk about self-control Dauum! While I only have the Recon1 I will say it carries very nicely, light weight nice and flat and feels great in the hand. Good luck with your decision, I would just get both. Have a good one.

I have a Recon 1 and the Voyager XL. I prefer the G10 of the Recon 1 just a little bit because it provides just the right traction. Grippy enough but it won’t hurt your hand. The textures of the Voyager work too, but aren’t as comfy as G10 for me. This is subjective of course, but the Recon 1 scales feel more ergonomic as well.

Both knives will ultimately serve you well.

entry level vs. upgrade is how i always saw them but that ain't really fair. they are different feeling knives in the hand.

I like how the voyager has the thick grip. don't care for the rough pattern of the scales though. its design leads for good hold wet, even if scales were smooth.

for pocket space recon 1 leads the way.

cold steels aus10 is pretty good though. it doesn't scare me away on a decision between those two.
Yup, Aus10a works just fine for an EDC blade. Never had problems with it.

I did a little sanding on the scales of my voyager until it had the amount of roughness I like.
I really prefer a satin blade which neither have. Shorter blades than 4" seem too short for me.

What are the pros and cons about a Tanto blade? BTW I have 2 counter points, 1 rajah 3, voyager L, American Lawman.
The main con I have heard about is the harder it is to sharpen, I have read about other people not liking the tanto geometry for their cutting task.Oh and some people think it looks too tactical. Tanto's are my favorite CS Knives(I do own many other CS styles though), when I think Tanto I think CS.

What are the pros and cons about a Tanto blade? BTW I have 2 counter points, 1 rajah 3, voyager L, American Lawman.
They’re hard to sharpen on a flat stone. Something like a sharpmaker would be more appropriate. Also, the blade shape isn’t the best for skinning game or precision carving. Personally, I do neither of those activities so tantos work just fine for my EDC needs.

They’re hard to sharpen on a flat stone. Something like a sharpmaker would be more appropriate. Also, the blade shape isn’t the best for skinning game or precision carving. Personally, I do neither of those activities so tantos work just fine for my EDC needs.
Hmm, guess it’s a matter or preference because I find a bench stone to be the easiest way to sharpen tantos because the edges are mostly flat. Not as much worry about rounding the secondary point.

Bought my first Cold Steel tanto in the 90's and have a few more now. I've never had trouble sharpening them!

The main con I have heard about is the harder it is to sharpen, I have read about other people not liking the tanto geometry for their cutting task.Oh and some people think it looks too tactical. Tanto's are my favorite CS Knives(I do own many other CS styles though), when I think Tanto I think CS.
Ya many of us have a mix, but I'm Tanto all the way also. Even outdoors I like it for bark slicing and moderately prying out/off gobs of dried sap for fires.

Also the blade finish. The mirror stonewash on Voyager looks great.
Love the stonewashed finish CS does on their knives. I kind of wished I'd grabbed a stonewashed Recon1 when I had the chance. There's always tomorrow I guess, what did you decide Op?

I like the clip point much more.
If you already have a Voyager, you are willing to pay more, and don't mind the black blade, I would definitely get the Recon.

The Voyager is a bargain for the price, and the Recon1 is a bigger bargain for its price.

Before I held the Recon 1, I was very much anti black coated blades. Now owning black bladed Recon1 s and satin bladed Recon1 s, I don t mind coated blades at all. And the Recon1 is a great combination of lightweight, strong and thin, making it a top edc knife as well as work/woods knife.

Last edited:
Back