recon tanto or oyabun?

Cold steel just started making the oyabun knife with carbon V steel and an inner shell of zytel beneath the kraton in the handle. So now it's almost exactly like the recon tanto except for the blade is 9" and a different handle.
So which one would you say is better overall? I think the extra 2" on the blade is a plus, but i question the handle.

I have a Recon Tanto, and for the price I wish I had purchased a Becker. I don't routinely stab hooded mercenaries in dark alleys so its defensive role is pretty much moot. The Kraton handles are, to me, crap. The rubber is so soft that it likes to tear at your hand, and never feels completely secure.

And the factory sheath is absolutely worthless, aside from its utility as a storage case. There are many better options, unless perhaps you're dead set on a large FB blacked-out tanto at that price. BTW...if you do get one, get a factory second.

Nitin

IMO, neither. Crappy Kraton handles and a sheath that thhe knife will fall out of aside, I just don't know what they were thinking when they designed those knives. The tip is set backwards out of line with the hand due to the blade shape and tanto tip, making it difficult to control. The blades on either of these are not designed for chopping, although the edge is set up that way - I have heard that if you do chop, the blade comes loose from the handle and wobbles around. There is no belly on these knive, and the curve serves no discenable purpose.

In case you couldn't tell, I had a bad experience purchasing a recon tanto. The oyabun is probably worse for balance and control. If you must get a pure fighting knife, these knives are amongst the worst.

A lot of people don't like the Recon Tanto. All I know is I got one long ago, back when they were a lot more expensive. At some point my mom decided it would be a good tool for chopping pieces of firewood into smaller pieces. So she took it and started hacking away at firewood. Made it like a champ. My brother has a Becker, it's a pretty pissed off knife, but it doesn't feel as good in my hand as the Recon Tanto.
Richard

Back