Review Recycled Sawblade knife by Cees Euser

This one has been sitting in my backlog since summer 2019. I posted a review in Dutch over with our Dutch colleagues at Messenplatform.nl. Here is a (loose) translation:

At the Dutch Knife Exhibition (2019) I spoke with Cees Euser, the maker of my favourite fixed blade. We spoke about a knife he'd made by recycling an old sawblade. At the end of our conversation I left with the knife in my dayback and the promise to to test it rigourously. That was back in June 2019, and I've been sitting on my notes and pictures all this time. So it's high time to share this with you guys.

IM5hBjv.jpg

t7Ew3cA.jpg

4tMhQh0.jpg

I went to the forest around the corner of my house and looked for a piece of wood to make something out of. Since I never take wood off a living & healthy tree, but dead wood isn't suitable either, that turned out to be quite the endeavour. Eventually I found a suitable piece of a recently cut tree, but it turned out to be quite hard. A nice test for the blade. I've compared this knife with another knife by Cees Euser and the Benchmade 200 in CPM 3V.

D8zVsTz.jpg

The steel performed just fine. Obviously I wouldn't use it for batonning, but that's what the axe is for. The steel was nicely hardened and when it came to the harder inner part of the wood, it even outperformed the Benchmade Puukko in CPM 3V. I think that's quite a feat!

3cwmMYO.jpg

The knife was nice and sharp and the edge retention during this job was just fine. When I came back home, it displayed just slightly less enthusiasm when cutting paper, but after hours of hard work that's still very good.

Cutting behaviour was just fine. It was less 'agressive' compared to the Benchmade Puukko. The thin blade could sooner be called 'slicey'. The knife gently took thin slices off the wood. The blade shape is good; the knife has a bit of 'belly' and that positively impacts cutting behaviour.

Aside from that, I think the knife is quite beautiful to look at thanks to the wood in the handle and the pattern of 'bubbles' in the blade. The paracord-eye doesn't look out of place and doesn't get in the way. The sheath is beautiful too and works very well (but sadly I am left-handed).

The only thing that could be improved upon are the ergonomics: The handle was a tad too big for my hands (Size 9/XL gloves) and a bit too square. This meant my hand got tired after a while. However, there were no 'hotspots'. I think people with larger hands would be less bothered by this.

In short: I think it's a succes!

gpCnwF2.jpg

The spatula looked fine, but sadly the wood wasn't fresh enough and it started to split after a couple of days anyway. :(

But oh well, have some more pics from that day:

GsGYhAk.jpg

QoFjZTo.jpg

Last edited:
Back