Redmeadow Pocket Blade Info thread

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
ATTENTION: Dibs are now taken through the Newsletter.

Crammed into this thread is all the details you need about the Cowbell knives and how to get one.
IMG_20200201_102115_851.jpg

I'm going to run this model two at a time instead of doing large batches that you have to wait long periods for. I'll have two of these knives in progress at any given time while I work on other builds.

Let's break down the 'Dibs' system while we're here. Dibs is always for a specific knife, not a slot for a custom order. When you call "Dibs" it acts as a place holder and a soft "I'll take it". I say 'soft' because I understand that sometimes cashflow is limited, and your Dibs could come up at a bad time, I completely understand. You can pass on it if need be, just know that you'll go to the bottom of the list.

When I start a new pair of these, I'll contact the next two Dibs and we'll work out handle options, sheath options and I'll get your address. There will be a progress thread to let you know where the knife is in the process. When your knife is complete, we'll discuss payment and shipping. Keep in mind that while I am working on your knife, I will also be working on other builds.

When we run out of Dibs, I'll still have two of these in the works and will sell them on Bladeforums and other platforms (which will be at a higher price outside of our subforum).

These are nice little pocket blades. They cut well and feel solid in hand. The blades are flat ground with a distal taper and a hand satin finish. There's one Nickel Silver pin (3/32") and two Nickel Silver thonghole tubes (1/4"). The Cowbell design on the ricasso and the 'Redmeadow' on the spine are etched deep and won't rub off with use. These have a slightly rounded spine and a clean fit and finish. They are nice little workers.

The sheath has a belt loop on the back that allows vertical carry or an angled crossdraw. It also makes a nice pocket slip. A pocket slip with no belt loop will be an available option as well as right or left hand. These are oiled with Montana Pitch blend products and sealed with Neat-Lac. They will not be dyed.

The handle materials are limited to Micarta and Richlite for now. Other materials might be offered depending on what I have on hand at the time of your build.

Here are examples of the Richlite (redstone, black, blue canyon) and the micarta (green, bone, red). Denim will also be available until I run out. At the time of your Dibs I may have more to choose from.
20200124_183549-01.jpeg
20200204_110127-01.jpeg

The steel is 52100 which is a carbon steel, and will develop a patina. At 60-61 RC, these hold a good edge and a quick strop or a couple of passes on your car window should bring them back sharp.

These are affordable, entry level Handmade knives. They have every bit of the quality of any other Redmeadow knife, but are designed to be as affordable as possible. All of the work is still done by me including the sheaths. With that being said, Cowbells delivered in 2020 will be priced at $140 if sold from a Dibs here in the subforum.

I haven't decided how often, but at random, I'll make a deluxe model in an exotic wood. These won't be available for Dibs. They will however be sold in the subforum, maybe by auction or raffle.
Edit to add: I decided to make one Deluxe per year. Click here to see the 2020 Deluxe Sale's thread.

Details and pics:

6 1/2 " Overall knife
7" Overall in sheath
52100 steel
.10" thick
RC 60-61
Cowbell logo etched ricasso
Redmeadow etched spine
$140 through Dibs (2021 price $160)
20200201_090924-01.jpeg
IMG_20200201_102115_851.jpg
IMG_20200128_200432_836.jpg
IMG_20200128_161203_931.jpg
20200128_003200-01.jpeg
IMG_20200128_200432_837.jpg
Post Dibs in this thread if you want on the list.

ATTENTION: Dibs are now taken through the Neesletter.

Last edited:
Seats taken
forrest-gump-waving-gif-7.gif

Run# & Username
1 gunspease (Shipped)
1 Dopic1 (Shipped)
2 Jlauffer (Shipped)
2 melvin-purvis (Shipped)
3 trevitrace (Shipped)
3 CoryMc (Shipped)
4 greatscoot (Shipped)
4 SpyderPhreak (Shipped)
5 JB in LV (Shipped)
5 Belloc (Shipped)
6 Crazy Canuck (Shipped)
6 Ajack60 (Shipped)
7 Ron L (Shipped)
7 Ron L (Shipped)
8 lex2006 (Shipped)
8 Mink (Shipped)
8 Comprehensivist (Shipped)
8 RayseM (Shipped)
9 Padruig (Shipped)
9 Tope (Shipped)
9 Wharn (Zulu) (Shipped)
9 gunspease (Zulu) (Shipped)

Last edited:
edit: Dibs; this gif is kind of grating and may be replaced.

I have enjoyed these threads and look forward to getting one, thank you John.

edit again: Redmeadow Knives Redmeadow Knives , so as not to clutter a dibs thread; JB or Jeff works equally well for me and glad to be here, thank you. I mostly, but not exclusively, hang out in the traditional sub forum. Have read most of these posts but just missed the earlier dibs window. This style of knife - then this knife, is what I have wanted for a while and I am ecstatic dibs opened again. Gif stays. Thanks again!

Last edited:
JB in LV JB in LV Welcome, good to see you in here. Do you go by JB?

Edit: that's a perfect Dibs gif:D

Thanks John!:thumbsup: Think my only question at this point is, given that these are entry level, and have the cowbell etch, will they come with one of your signature little cowbells?

Thanks John!:thumbsup: Think my only question at this point is, given that these are entry level, and have the cowbell etch, will they come with one of your signature little cowbells?
Only the one etched on the blade for these.

Nice thread work, well done. Question; do you have an example of a knife (one of yours) finished in the Bone Micarta? That material looks really interesting...

Thanks John. I ordered a matched pair of knives from RMK once (the other RMK) with white Micarta handles, and possibly it had to do with the finishing process, but both came with black dust/grit imbedded in the handles.

Dalmatian pups.jpg
I wasn't in the least bit amused...

There's ways to avoid that like filing and sanding towards the spine, constantly wet wiping it down and not 'shoeshining' until you're at the highest grits. White micarta must be a nightmare to work with but I'd venture to guess a dirty buffing wheel might have done that.

so as not to clutter a dibs thread
Just caught this Jeff, no worries on cluttering up the thread, this is as good a place as any to chat. I'll keep an eye out for any more Dibs, though I doubt we get many more.

IDK. I suspect that as word gets out, you're going to get busier, and these will become quite popular! :cool:
I agree. I got back on the forums looking for a constant carry, no frills, usefully shaped, light, versatile, durable, carry-ably small but usefully large (esp. the handle), robust yet slicey fixed-blade, preferably with its own custom sheath, for crossdraw carry. In other words, something really practical. I keep buying knives that look cool but that I don't end up carrying. This time around I've actually bought four, but none was right, for various reasons. I was actually considering trying to find someone to make what I was looking for when I found you guys here in the maker's forum, then came across the Pocket Blade build and couldn't believe my eyes as the design came together page by page. This knife has every quality I was looking for combined into a beautiful, nuanced design of subtle detail that I never would have thought to add, so it's beautiful in a completely unornamental way. This knife is Monica Bellucci working in a field. I just can't think of a single thing I'd change about this (you know there's always something...), and I'll be amazed if this design doesn't have some very long legs.

Back