Refinishing a hatchet

I started refinishing an old hatchet that my grandfather gave me before he passed away. It was pretty beat up. I sanded the handle and plan on treating in with linseed oil and bees way. I just a grinder on the head to get all the rust and built up gunk off of it. My question is, now that I have the whole head down to the bare metal, what do I do to it? Is there some kind of paint that I should use on it? I will be using it in the woods, and would prefer not to have a shiney metal head on it. Thanks

I started refinishing an old hatchet that my grandfather gave me before he passed away. It was pretty beat up. I sanded the handle and plan on treating in with linseed oil and bees way. I just a grinder on the head to get all the rust and built up gunk off of it. My question is, now that I have the whole head down to the bare metal, what do I do to it? Is there some kind of paint that I should use on it? I will be using it in the woods, and would prefer not to have a shiney metal head on it. Thanks
While your treating the handle with linseed oil lightly coat the haed and let it dry 24-36 hour's depending on humidity linseed oil work's on steel just as good as wood,re-coat once or twice a year depending on usage

Back