1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Refresh G10

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by coop1957, Jul 21, 2019.

1. coop1957

coop1957 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2002
    The black G10 scales on my trusty Manix 2 have become smooth. Is it possible to restore the original texture? I'm hesitant to try sandpaper for fear of damaging the scales.
    Any suggestions?

2. Darkpast

Darkpast Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    Depends on grit of a sandpaper( I would think). I used 2000 grit, to smooth out mine.

3. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
  4. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    If it's worn down there is nothing you can do to get the peel ply texture back without re-making the scales unfortunately.

115Italian likes this.
  5. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    Technically, you can use some strong chemicals like sulfuric acid or heat (i.e. boiling water >1 h) to remove epoxy from the surface.
    But I guess that is not you really want to do.

6. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Neither one of those methods will remove the resin from G-10:confused:

Bigfattyt likes this.
  7. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    A quick hit with a bead blast medium might work to make them grippy again, but it wont look the same.

Some of my favorite custom g10 scales have been bead blasted with glass medium.

But, and this is a bit but, I don't know what they looked like before the bead blast.

Koster did a great job with this for the grips on many of his g10 handled knives. I've felt a few from othe makers I really loved.

I have no idea how Spyderco's g10 would respond.

8. miso2

Nov 19, 2014
    Really?
    I thought warm sulfuric acid or dichloromethane can remove fully cured epoxy.
    I am no expert and might be wrong.

Darkpast likes this.
  9. eKretz

eKretz

Aug 30, 2009
    Very easy to restore texture on G10 - absolutely no need to make new scales. Just use a grit blaster. The coarser the grit, the grippier the finish will be. No it won't be an identical finish to tbe original but it is very good and very grippy. I like it better than original personally. And yes, Magic Eraser works great for cleaning G10.