Refrigerate after opening..... Do you?

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Okay so I see this warning on lots of items, including some which find their way into my kitchen, most notably raspberry jam (Smucker's Pure). Most notably this, because I disobey the label. I don't like wrestling with jam that is refrigerator consistency - it is inconvenient to spread- so I leave it out on the counter, or in the cupboard. It takes me maybe a couple weeks to go through one. And I have not fallen ill.

HOWEVER!

I once (two decades ago!) failed to pay heed to the wise admonition when it was present on a container of Cesar salad dressing. I only left the silly thing on the counter over night. But then the next day my lady friend and I found, perhaps two or three hours after sharing a delicious meal together, including the aforenamed and beloved salad, that we were compelled to take turns paying tribute before the porcelain throne. This is a lesson I have not forgotten.

No need to be too graphic, but I am curious if anyone has made similar blunders? Also, what other food items have you found that bear the titular warning, but without cause?

Ope, David's up at 4 am again, and look what happens.

My wife puts the Worcestershire sauce in the fridge.. it dosen't need to be tho. Kind of opposite of what you are asking. I personally like to leave in in the cabinet at room temp. I like to take a shot of it every now and then when I'm cooking. It just doesn't taste the same cold tho.

Now I'm in the same position you were in šŸ¤£

Frantically looking for some.....wondering if it's too salty?

When I was younger and dumber I ate pizza that had been left out for a few days without issue. Day old pizza left on the counter is fine still to this day.
I see nothing wrong with That....haha
Although I've consumed more than I probably should have

I am 56, when I was a kid, leftovers were not refrigerated. Cooked meat, veg, bread- all left on top of the stove or counter on plates. Dairy, aside from butter was refrigerated, obviously uncooked meats but little else. I think our bodies were more robust.

I like fruit or cheese- good cheese- as a late evening snack. I have "conflict dreams" anything with too many complex carbs keeps my wife awake at night :)

Bill

Oh yes, cheese! I do like a good, sweaty, unrefrigerated cheese. But not past maybe a week old. It starts to turn green at that point.

I'm a stick in fridge as soon as hits room temp on food. on condiments and such I just follow the label. now my wife who grew up on a farm...

she'll leave leftover food even stuff like shrimp on the countertop overnight and next day and eat at room temp. she also will eat stuff I never would. mold on top growing..shell scrape it off and eat the rest. stuff like that. old condiments she has zero fear. she'd do your jelly thing. she likes to keep the butter on the countertop..drives me crazy. shes got my boy doing it all that way too. leaves leftover food put in container ready for the fridge and leaves it on the countertop overnight, eats the next day. she and the boy never get sick from it. I like stuff in the fridge as soon possible.

My wife puts the Worcestershire sauce in the fridge.. it dosen't need to be tho. Kind of opposite of what you are asking. I personally like to leave in in the cabinet at room temp. I like to take a shot of it every now and then when I'm cooking. It just doesn't taste the same cold tho.
Only in my Bloody Mary's
Interesting. Now I have to try it. Just to see. I used to take shots of Apple Cider Vinegar.
My wife puts that on her cooked spinach from a can!

Most condiments I leave at room temp, preserves and mayo I refrigerate after opening.
Most meat, when I cook for lunch I donā€™t mind leaving at room temp if I know Iā€™ll eat it again for supper.
About the only cooked food I leave out overnight is a pot of rice. To reheat Iā€™ll stir in a little more water then steam it.

I hate cold butter.

Cold butter. Yep. The invention of the lightsaber is going to change the world for the better in that regard first and foremost.

Back