Reinforcement for gun holster mouth

Do any of you who make gun holsters add reinforcement to the mouth, if so how do you do it and what do you use?
Thanks for looking.

I don't make IWB holsters so I can't speak to that style. On my others, I add a moderately thick piece of leather that wraps around the sheath and forms a tunnel for the belt on the back. It adds sufficient stiffness to keep the mouth open at all times. Also a good place to add some tooling. Here is a couple of pictures.

I don't make IWB holsters so I can't speak to that style. On my others, I add a moderately thick piece of leather that wraps around the sheath and forms a tunnel for the belt on the back. It adds sufficient stiffness to keep the mouth open at all times. Also a good place to add some tooling. Here is a couple of pictures.

Just love your work !! Beautiful holsters !!!

Some really splendid work you guys. Thanks so much for sharing with me. I have read of people using some stiff plastic, wire or metal under the leather flap youi have shown. You guys really do some nice work.

I have heard that some feel metal or plastic stiffeners are necessary or at least helpful for IWB holsters and since I don't make them I defer to their experience. However, it is most definitely not necessary for conventional carry designs. I have made a lot and never had a problem or complaint.
Randy

Back