REK'd Busses & Kin /Josh Appreciation Thread

You guys are too kind haha :D I can't believe I get my own appreciation thread lol! It is truly an honor.

yeah for a full satin finish the scales have to be removed.

Man... Check this out. I just clipped this point on a sarsquatch the other day and zero ground it, I'm really liking how it turned out! As was pointed out above I had to thin this one down by about .020" to remove all the pitting underneath but it turned out beautiful imho.

i-KPdJLWp-X4.jpg

Holy smokes! This pic is cruel and unusual torture. I'm mulling over sending you my Infinidu. Can't decide if I'd rather have that or a hollow ground thinning (?). Beauty sir. :thumbsup:

Petey, st, and Ghandi (and any others I just now missed!), thank you for posting up your REK specials. (An extra wow to you and yours, Ghandi!)

As the OP, this is just what I was hoping to have happen. Purty pics and good info!

Keep 'em coming! Josh needs a "catalogue." And we need a "Custom Shop!"

Josh, thank you for posting that fantastic pic of that fantastic 'Squatch here! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

As the OP, I am hereby soliciting your pics of WIPs or recently completed projects to be posted here. No limit!

I have noticed that things are a tad bit dead on the forum these days aside from new releases, and I know the enthusiasm your work generates, so please post those beautiful pics here for us to enjoy! A weekly (at a minimum) "featured knife" would be cool! :cool::thumbsup: That will also attract attention and spur others to post their own REK pics, or so I would think.

(Note: Josh had nothing to do with the creation of this appreciation thread - well, aside from inspiring it with his fantastic work on my ASHBM! - and I have received nothing in return for my gushing enthusiasm and fan-boy thread creation :).)

Got to thinking . . .

Perhaps my enthusiasm got the best of me? I do not want to step on Busse Combat's toes. After all, this IS Jerry's sub-forum. So I hope I have not overstepped and created anything awkward for anyone.

The way I saw it, and see it, is that this is good work on Jerry & Co.'s fantastic knives that we all know and love, and over which we so famously salivate! Enthusiasm for, and appreciation of, Josh's work on Jerry's legendary knives is all-good for Busse (or so I saw it).

So this is a BUSSE/Kin appreciation thread first and foremost.

Anyhow, someone from the shop, or a mod, please let me know if I have overstepped here.

NO REGRETS!

Well, I have not heard anything as of yet, so I am guessing all is well and I am not banned! (. . . yet) :):thumbsup:

So, please party on (hoping for more - I know there’s lots out there!).

Considering the custom shop is closed, I'd imagine as long as this thread stayed focused on tricked out Kin blades, it'll be safe from being trampled by the Boss Hog.

Thanks for that perspective, Stump Buster. That was and is my original and current intent. Though I know Josh does other work, and even has some sole authorship pieces, I figured that everyone assumed that is what this was all about = cool mod'd/sharpened Busse/Kin. I know Josh gets it!

Beautiful work. Has me sort of wishing I hadn't sold off most of my Busses and looking over the few I have left to see if any of them could use a make over. I wonder what could be done to my Mountain Mandu?

ohiojerry, funny you mention the MountainManDu. I was thinking about throwing out there whether anyone has had any REK work done on one. That is my other favorite big Busse/kin (along with the ASHBM) and the only other big one that I toy with the idea of acquiring despite not needing it for anything that my ASHBM cannot do pretty well (or so I imagine).

It is so very clean aesthetically. A big knife distilled to its essence. Reminds me of some of the early 19th c. "Bowie knife" ancestors. (this is kinda what I was going for in mod'ing my ASHBM)

People might think me crazy, but I think I would love to have one thinned just a bit more (just under .20) and hollow ground - slice, slice, slice!!! Josh's finish would look so stunning on that big, wide clean blade!

Might have to have it clipped and a bit of back edge added?!

Beautiful work. Has me sort of wishing I hadn't sold off most of my Busses and looking over the few I have left to see if any of them could use a make over. I wonder what could be done to my Mountain Mandu?

So I first started sending Josh my blades after he did some work on a MMD for a forums user named "Worldwood". I'll try and find the link. It was all posted over on the The Swamp rat sub-forum. I was nervous sending my blade in but was %100 pleased with the work and have been sending them to Josh ever ever since

edit: heres the thread "My Mountain Mandu journey"
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-mountainmandu-journey.1280429/

MattinLA, many thanks for the post and the link! Truly great thread on the MMD - both fun and super informative. Did you ever get a MMD done like her?

You know, it would be just fantastic if you would post pics of your own REK'd Busse/Kins! How many have you had done and what type of work? Sounds like you are certainly "in the know!"

MattinLA, many thanks for the post and the link! Truly great thread on the MMD - both fun and super informative. Did you ever get a MMD done like her?

You know, it would be just fantastic if you would post pics of your own REK'd Busse/Kins! How many have you had done and what type of work? Sounds like you are certainly "in the know!"

I have had Josh REK every blade but a MMD!

So I just found out maybe two days ago that REK has its own sub-forum.
I'm gonna get a new camera, hopefully before Christmas, and then I'll start posting pics on his forum.
His work is SICK!
My DSF and Sykco Dog Skinner are E-V-I-L

That sounds great. Yes, he has one, but I don't think it is as busy. So figured we could use some Busse/Kin-focused REK love here!

Very cool to support his sub-forum, but maybe you could still throw a couple our way (I bet that'll be good for his sub-forum traffic, too!)? Starting with those sick blades - your DSF and the Sykco Dog Skinner! :thumbsup:

Sounds like you are a fortunate man, but hey, you made it happen! Good on ya'!

Here's the thread I made about the knife in my sig.

I've said it before but it bears repeating that it's my favorite knife.

I also have some other stuff that I bought 2nd hand after it was already REK'd, and it's all awesome. I am waiting on a new iPhone with a better camera, and then I'll plan to take some nice new pics.

I really need to save up and send some things Josh's way. I have so many ideas for mods and regrinds I want him to do. That and having Chad Pirtle make me some new sheaths are my major knife-related goals for 2020.

Here's the thread I made about the knife in my sig.

I've said it before but it bears repeating that it's my favorite knife.

I also have some other stuff that I bought 2nd hand after it was already REK'd, and it's all awesome. I am waiting on a new iPhone with a better camera, and then I'll plan to take some nice new pics.

I really need to save up and send some things Josh's way. I have so many ideas for mods and regrinds I want him to do. That and having Chad Pirtle make me some new sheaths are my major knife-related goals for 2020.

Thanks for the awesome link! Fantastic knife! Can’t wait for those pics, too. Care to share any of those plans?

I got a Boss Jack CG that Would be cool with a hollow grind or maybe a FHFG. I’m not sure what grind the LE models had, but I think it would be similar to those. BJLE’s are hard to come by, so I think getting my BJCG REK’D is the way to go. Has anyone had this done?

Looks like this thread got moved - I was concerned about it causing any issues with the busse team. At least I'll feel more free to post work here now :)

Back