Relative hardness of lock bar face

Anne,

What is the hardness of the titanium before and after the lock bar face is heat treated?

------------------
Johnny
[]xxxxxx[]=============>

Interesting Q. Mission Knives' website notes that 6AL4V ti can only be hardened to 35 RC, I believe?

I've had my Sebenza for almost 2 yrs now, and haven't experienced any significant wear on the ti-lock: bar still doesn't slide all the way over, still feels like the proverbial "bank vault," etc.

Has anyone else had any problems w/wear on the ti lock? Or, for Anne: has this kind of wear been an issue (on returns, etc)?

Glen

------------------
“The piano has been drinking” -Tom Waits

I've emailed Anne about the wear issue also. Her response seemed to have been no.

I think heat treating titanium is different in the case of the sebenza. In this case only the surface of the lock bar is hardened, so I think it can get harder. But that's just my guess.

------------------
Johnny
<FONT COLOR=#ff0000>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>></FONT>

It is only the face of the lock that moves in behind the blade that is heat treated, not the whole handle. What happens is that when heat is applied to the lock, an oxide forms on the surface. This is very hard (somewhere up at 90 RC) but it is very thin.

Anne

So would you say that over time(say years of opening and closing) the lock will experience minimal to negligible wear?
If so I think that is fantastic.

------------------
The greatest thought that has ever entered my mind is that one day I will have to stand before a Holy God and give an account of my life.
*Daniel Webster

Rev 20:12

Back