Releasing a Tri-ad lock

I think I know what all the fuss is about. I always use the side of my thumb (at the knuckle) and have no problem. I tried using the tip of my thumb and it's a bitch. I wonder if that's why so many people have a problem?

I just depress it like I would any classic lockback. As a matter of fact, the original lockback, which is much beloved and remains popular, is far more difficult to depress than any Tri-Ad lock.

If using your thumb tip, you want to be pressing deeply, directly in the middle of the lock bar. Much easier if you go from the back of the lock bar to the midpoint, than from the front to the midpoint. Observation from opening and closing many thousands of times while displaying and demoing knives at shows. Some are a little stiffer at first, but do break in fairly quickly.

i do it two handed. it's not worth the risk of a cut, for me anyways. i don['t find the lock that hard to disengage one handed or two though.

I've had a variety of experiences with the Triad lock. I had a Large Voyager that was easily the best I owned. Deployed easily, no harder to disengage than any standard lockback (easier than many, honestly), locked up without play and the blade would fall closed when you disengaged it (momentarily alarming, but the kick would hit your finger, not the edge). Great knife that is now in the pocket of a friend of mine who's a union carpenter.

On the other side my first Talwar was ROUGH. It was actually a bit painful to cycle that knife 4-5 times in a row when I first got it. It eventually broke in, but it was definitely a thumbbreaker to start.

I was curious how many folks use their finger tips. I checked on Youtube and it looks like a LOT. The tip of the thumb is much more sensitive to pain than the side. Also, there is a leverage advantage using the side. I've always opened lock-backs in this manner.

Pain is relative. If you are pressing down with the thumb tip and the bar isn't moving, I would bet it's hurting more than if you are pushing harder on a moving bar. The moment of force is gone in an instant instead of lingering on and on.....After years of turning nuts and bolts finger tight, I can't say that I have gotten a triad lock yet that has been a problem, and I usually use a thumb or forefinger tip. That might change, because that Colossus looks like a lot of fun and that has to be a beast of a spring for the lock on a blade that size.

I personally prefer to use the joint of the thumb( that allows it to bend) to depress the lock. Its bone so it does not hurt at all as compared to the tip of your thumb. Try it.

People most likely use the tip of their thumb because they are used to liner-locks & frame-locks.

I too, use the side of the knuckle of my thumb to release the lock. I can't do it otherwise.

I personally prefer to use the joint of the thumb( that allows it to bend) to depress the lock. Its bone so it does not hurt at all as compared to the tip of your thumb. Try it.

Wow!!! It is so much easier to release the lock doing it this way.
Also it is safer for me too as the blade is parallel with the ground and does not free swing closed if the pivot is too loose.

I've used back locks for almost 40 years and this goes to show that you can always learn something new.

That's exactly what stated at the beginning of this thread, it's much easier!

You are spot on with that brother, it is way easier to unlock this way.

Now I've noticed some of my Triad locks are tougher than others but this method makes even my Hold Outs relatively easy to close now.

Back