Reliable and Economic Folder

Hi, I am looking around for a mainly self defense folder, which may also be used for some very minor utility, as my line of work usually does not require a knife.

Generally, reliability and price are the highest factors that will decide which folder I will buy. A blade length from 3 to 4 1/2 would all suit me fine. My price range is around $50.

I noticed that many people recommend the Spyderco Endura and Delica. However, I would like a more tactical and sleek look to the knife, since the Endura looks like a gardening tool :D . Would anyone recommend the Cold Steel Voyager series? These appear to be a good deal, even if they are a bit on the larger side.

Thanks, I would be grateful if anyone recommends any other folder with similar pricing and good reliability! :cool:

CRKT makes some affordable folders that have a somewhat sleeker "tactical" look. The CRKT Crawford/Kasper folder was designed as a fighter and is priced @$40. I have one and very happy with it. The Timberline Worden Tacical is also a great SD knife available with a 3 1/2" or 4 1/4" blade also @$40.

Dayuhan

The CRKT Crawfor Kasper is a good choice in this price range, as is the Timbeline Worden. Also in this range you might look at the BM Ambush, the CRKT M16, and for a little more the BM TSEK is perfect for your needs. As for the Endura, it may look like a "gardening tool," but it's a heck of a slicer, of excellent quality, and pointy is good for self-defense purposes.

Buck 110 or Buck 112...it's nice VERY reliable and sharp...it come with a good leather sheath and will serve you well!:D

kershaw vapor

AMAZINGLY low price

decent steel

Kershaws warranty... does any customer service get better than this?

At that price point I'd say you probably want a Benchmade Griptillian. World class lock, arguably the best in any production folder available. Decent steel (440C), and available in your choice of thumbstud or hole. For $65 (I think) you can get the Cabela's special edition in D2 tool steel. MSRP $95, it Ebays around $55-$60 if you don't want extras like camo or black blade.

You might also want to look at the new Benchmade Ambush. Just under 4" instead of just under 3.5", Rolling lock instead of Axis lock, Aluminum handles vs Zytel (GTX? It's all fiberglass reinforced plastic), about $15 cheaper, MSRP $80, street $50-55 (Internet/ebay street, of course).

To my taste, I'd also look at their new model 530. A little smaller - 3.25" blade - but a very suitable blade for SD, the Axis lock, and a very sleek folding boot knife look that sounds like what turns you on. Slim as hell, very VERY light, an easy carry concealed or otherwise. MSRP $90, so same real price range as above. But it and the Ambushes are brand new, so their reliability, while probably very high, is currently theoretical rather than street proven.

All of those are around your price range. The Axis locks are, a lot of people think, as absolutely reliable as a mechanism gets. The Rolling lock is also well thought of, but the REKAT originals had some problems in practice and I just don't think the new Rolling Benchmades have been out long enough to say how truly real world reliable they are. I'm guessing they will be, but they simply have no track record yet.

My prejudiced personal opinion is that in the price range under discussion, no folding knife is as reliable as the Axis locking Benchmades. (You said reliability was your main determinant, that's why I'm harping on it.) Those CRKT liner-locks with the Walker-Lake safety are pretty solid too. (Did Spyderco ever offer that on anything other than the Centofante II?) There are also bolt lockers like the CRKT D.O.G., and the Blackie Collins Meyercos.

On the other hand, while there are arguments to be made as to why unreinforced linerlocks and lockbacks are theoretically more failure prone, there are an awful lot of smart people choosing them. I certainly don't think they're unreliable - just not as reliable as an Axis.

Of course if you really want an absolutely reliable self defense knife, you don't a folder, you want a fixed blade. Folders are an awful lot of fun though, and most of us spend a lot more time playing with knives than we ever do defending ourselves with them. :D

I'll second the Spyderco Native with the S30V blade (a premium steel).
One h*ll of a knive for the $. ;)

Since you mentioned Cold Steel I'd recommend a Voyager the AUS8 steel is good. I can get mine to a wicked sharp edge and the lock is very secure. I'd stay away from their other folders like the Recon and Nightforce. I knew a guy who bought one and I wasn't overly impressed. Plus I never could get a good edge on it.

But if your looking for value I'd go with the Spyderco Native it's got better steel and its about the same price. While some people hate the look of the Spyderhole I still think it is the best system for opening a knife (minus the "flick method")I find it much more easier then a stud or a disk.

I've made my choice on the sexy Benchmade Griptilian. In addition to the reliable AXIS lock, the 3 1/2 in. blade length allows a comfortable carry size and also a blade long enough to be useful in a self defense or utility situation. Also, the 440C is a moderately good quality stainless steel, unlike the AUS6 found in some Zytel models of various knives.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm sure this new knife will serve its new master well.

:D

Like everyone else here i recommend the Benchmade Griptilian but the new benchmade Mini-Ambush sounds like another good candidate. The Spyderco Delica would be another great choice.

The Cold Steel Voyagers are nice knives. However, a Spyderco Endura has better steel and a better opening method (in my opinion) for the same price. Get which ever one you like best though.

Check out the all steel version of the Endura.
Or save up alittle more money and get a Spyderco Police.

Happy hunting,
Allen.

Originally posted by j3r3mee
I noticed that many people recommend the Spyderco Endura and Delica. However, I would like a more tactical and sleek look to the knife, since the Endura looks like a gardening tool :D . Would anyone recommend the Cold Steel Voyager series? These appear to be a good deal, even if they are a bit on the larger side.

For utilitarian/defensive purposes I personally would choose a Spyderco Endura over a Cold Steel Voyager any day. Better warranty, better steel, and easier to open in a pinch.

Since you said that you're looking for a sleek "tactical" looking folder to carry mainly for self defense and little utility; edge holding would be of little importance, so you could take a look at CRKT's offerings like the M16-03Z, the Point Guard or Cascade. Other options would be the Buck Odyssey or Kershaw Vapor.

Cabela's is still selling the Griptillian's with a D2 blade.

Mike

Back