Relief cut HEST FOLDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about the HEST folder but that relief cut looks pretty thin. Anyone put a caliper on that. I carry folders that relief cuts no thinner than 0.075 thick, those on the HEST look very thin but I don't know what they are could someone help?

Thanks

I know. That's why I said frame is 4mm thick. It might give it a bit more perspective. Its plenty thick, trust me

Unless a dealer has one already, no one yet has any folders in hand that can help you. I think only RYP or R.A.T could help you with that info.

the knife hasn't shipped yet, so (i think) the only person who could measure anything would be Tomso @ Lion Steel.

RYP is en route to Somalia (last i heard) so i don't think he'll be able to measure anything until he returns.

not sure what pics you're looking at, but some of them are digital renderings, not actual photos... and the blade is 3/16" or so thick, so that may make other parts of the knife look thinner.

by "relief cut" i'm assuming you're referring to the thin section at the base, or butt end of the lockbar?

here's an edge-on pic of one of the prototype knives, and if the blade is .1875" i'd expect that p part you're asking about to be .0625".

but i think the knife is built in metric. so the blade is "between 4 and 5mm" (quoting Tomso from memory, not sure exactly where i read that tho), and the thin part on the lock is perhaps 1.5 or 2mm.

all i can do at this point is look at the pix and guess.

hestfolderproto5.jpg

Thinking about the HEST folder but that relief cut looks pretty thin. Anyone put a caliper on that. I carry folders that relief cuts no thinner than 0.075 thick, those on the HEST look very thin but I don't know what they are could someone help?

Thanks

Have you ever had a lock fail? I've never had a framelock of any type fail. IE, I'm not even sure it matters. If you like the knife, buy it.

I just took a quick measurement, it's approx. 1,8 mm - 2 mm thick, hard to say.

Have you ever had a lock fail? I've never had a framelock of any type fail. IE, I'm not even sure it matters. If you like the knife, buy it.

I'll add that is knife has the Rotoblock. It acts as a Hinderer Lock Bar Stabilizer, preventing that you push the lock to far out and break it. My guess is it'll more than alright, it will be bomb proof!

I'll add that is knife has the Rotoblock. It acts as a Hinderer Lock Bar Stabilizer, preventing that you push the lock to far out and break it. My guess is it'll more than alright, it will be bomb proof!

The Rotoblock is not a copy of the Hinderer Lock Stop.

It can be spun(Roto) to tighten the Lock Bar, preventing the lock to bend outwards in any occasion.

The Rotoblock is not a copy of the Hinderer Lock Stop.

It can be spun(Roto) to tighten the Lock Bar, preventing the lock to bend outwards in any occasion.

Never said it was, I said it acted like one. The patent for the Rotoblock belongs to lionsteel but they have an understanding with Rick Hinderer

My thought would be, since Lionsteel has been making knives since 1969... 41+ years..... there is most likely nothing to worry about. :)

They probably have it just about figured out. :thumbup:

so you're looking at 0.0738 inch, just under your marker. For reference, a typical EDC has a liner lock of around .050. Using titanium, anything over around 0.085 usually needs a cut out like that in order to bend. Those are around the numbers I'm familiar with anyway, it depends on a lot of things

Thanks for posting these specs and that question guys, i had the same concern and question. To large extent the strength of your lock is determined by forces acting on the thinnest part of the lock bar, especially with it locked down. This is a great question

Thanks for all the replys, I personally think lock stops and things like the rotoblock or totally and completely unecessary if the relief cut is left thick enough. I've actually had custom frame locks made that have no relief cut at all and the handle slab is 0.10 thick.

I like knives that are as simple as possible with as few parts as possible, also a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. So to have these knives overbuilt but put a paper thin relief cut in my opinion is counter productive. If you can take your finger and press down on the end of the lock bar and the bottom of the lock bar touches the bottom of the handle it is too thin in my opinion. The knife should take some effort to engage and disengage the lock in my opinion.

Again, thanks for the replies. I'll have to wait until these things start arriving in mail boxes to get some caliper measurements from people that actually have em.

I'll have to wait until these things start arriving in mail boxes to get some caliper measurements from people that actually have em.

You are aware that Tomso actually has a prototype and indicated that he measured "approx. 1,8 mm - 2 mm thick". In case you missed that.

MikeC, I agree with you on all points. Tomso has one and he said "approx. 1,8 mm - 2 mm thick, hard to say" so there's your number. no need to wait

I can guarantee its not thin. Some framelocks are 2mm thick all together. Hest folder has frame lock 4mm thick and i think that is the reason it looks thin...but its not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back