Remington Bullet Knives

Anybody ever use any of the 1982 thru 1991 of the Delrin/Staglon Remington yearly issued knives? The one in the photo is a 1991 Baby Bullet Trapper. A Classic design in my book. I just never used one. I realize that the new makers thought that they had a bottomless pit as far as collectibles goes on these but ended up just screwin' the whole thing up with the constant replicas of the replicas.
Greg

orig.jpg

It isn't a Bullet knife, but below is a 1990 Remington Musket-1 RB1240, Daddy Barlow. Pretty much the same as the AGR CM-2, but without the long nail nick of the later and the AGR is jigged Delrin. Both are Camillus made. This was the first in a series called the Musket Series that IIRC was to be a "limited" series. It first came out around 1990-92, there abouts. I've not seen any more of the series, just the bone and the Delrin versions of the DB. I kept this NIB until this past year when I started carrying it in my jeans. (A decision reached with some influence from this crowd.) It's a pretty good knife and feels good in the hand when using. I'm enjoying it much more now.

Rem-Musket-1-no-box-4-web.jpg

I gather though you are mainly wondering if anyone actually uses the Bullets from that time frame rather than keeping them as collectables. From what I've seen the 1982 is lower in number and fetchs some dollars. The other 80s knives up to about 86 or so seem to have some value as well. From about 88 or 89 it seems Remington got greedy and just started making way to many so the value on those sometimes ends up being less than you paid for them new. Then as you said, they started making replicas of these replicas and all kinds of knives were being called Bullet Knives. I pretty much consider the annual issues from about 1988 forward as users. If they are anything like the Musket-1 Daddy Barlows I've gathered up, the early 90s will be better overall than the later 90s. My 1990 DB has a stronger, more usable backspring than the ones I have from 95 and up. The actions on the later ones are still nice in terms of walk and talk, but the spring seems weaker.

I think if I had a 1991 Baby Trapper now (I had one and sold a few years ago) I'd carry it now and then as it is a nice classic shape as you noted, Greg.

I've that '91, dead mint in the box, and have never yet carried it.

Why? My 2004. Edges that were insanely thick and obtuse- over 60 inclusive. A spey blade that took a wiggle so easily that I took to carrying a small pein to tap it back. Feels good in the hand, but it's just not useable. Maybe I will carry my '91- I doubt it'll ever be worth much.

I've had a few, but never used one. I suppose they are useable knives, but didn't we all assume they were an "investment" of some kind?? Never made any money on one that I can recall.

Speaking of Bullet knives, does anyone happen to know who's honoring the lifetime warranty now that Camillus went under?

Just wondering....

Camillus went under??? When is this supposed to have happened? Schrade was the last big one to bite it that I know about (which was certainly no surprise).

Does it hold and edge TLC?
Greg

Actually yes it does. It takes a hair popping edge and holds it well. Which is odd, I have another Remington/Camillus "Yellow Jacket" lockblade that doesn't.

Not sure what steel they used in these 1990 Tracker, but it has perfomed well.

The only thing that's been said has been from some negotiator or other, but I don't put much stock in their credibility.

TLC, they probably used 440A in the Tracker. That's the same period as my Daddy Barlow and it is 440A. I think the later YJs are 420HC, but don't quote me on that one.

It's been through my experiences with Camillus/Remington and Kershaw, all in 440A that has made me appreciate just what a good steel 440A can be. My 440A knives sharpen up shaving sharp and cut well for a decent while and resharpen quickly.

Looks like you cut yourself!! That old technology is dangerous;) !:D !

Looks like you cut yourself!! That old technology is dangerous;) !:D !

Not myself (this time)... :D
'Twas a fair amount of rabbits this day, and gutting them all turned a bit sticky and gooey.

Can't help it but I just love that pattern.
Why is it that I hardly ever see any Muskrat/Moose patterns in the shops (or in these forums)??
I've found it really hard to find any.
And when I do find them, the shop usually only ships inside the US. Which makes it a bit tough for me living in Switzerland... :grumpy:

/ Karl

I frequently carry a 1984 4.5" single blade lockback. "440" steel on it, that takes a nice edge. I strop it every so often and edge holding has not been an issue for the mundane tasks I ask of it. I have found it a nice user.

Back