Removing Black

I have a KaBar that I want to remove the black coating on the knife blade. What would be a good way to do this?

Do you know what the coating is?

I did some research and found a product that a guy here used. It's a gel from Wal Mart called Klean Strip.

I applied it to the ground portion of my blade and it worked like a charm. The black rubbed right off.

Now that I've done this, I'm not happy with how it turned out...go figure, right? So, I'm going to do the entire blade, and hopefully I'll be able to keep the USMC and KaBar stamps black while the rest of the blade will be bare metal.

I haven't decided wether I'll polish the rest of the blade or maybe use some sort of finish, like mustard.

I'm having fun with it.

i just recieved my ranger rd knife, cool knife but immediately black coating started flaking off. i also decided to remove coating with the same stuff, i.e. Klean Strip, which worked pretty well with some elbow grease. i then used navel jelly to form a pretty decent patina. hopefully i won't regret this. it looks pretty good actually.

the blade on my Kabar is not pretty unpolished...so I'm rethinking about what I'm going to do.

I have been taking pics all along, so when I'm finished....I'm going to Belgium Blue it, I'll post photos

I stripped a cheap Gerber knock off boot knife a few years back. Looked liked crap. Then I had it sandblasted. Looks better, but still not great. But it was a cheapy so no problems.

Back