Removing Tiger Striping

Have a ZT with the tiger stripe pattern on the blade and I’m not a fan...anyone know of a way to strip the coating off? Thanks in advance.

There’s a video on YouTube from prepared mind 101 that shows how to remove coating from a Becker. Looks easy as hell. I get that the coating is different but it may still work. Good luck buddy!

Thanks, just watched the video and will give it a go. I’ll post results here this weekend as an update.

I'd be surprised to find that ZT's tungsten DLC coating will come off with paint stripper... my guess is that media blasting will be your best option.
If you try the stripper, let us know how it works

Just asking, what was the point if tiger striping?
Ugly as hell if you ask me.

ZT's coating is surprisingly tough. I got rid of some DLC with sandpaper and a cordless drill (polished screws up). The coating on a clip went with some media blasting with ease, seems to vary depending on the coat, I think the clip was just painted while the screws were coated.

Just asking, what was the point if tiger striping?
Ugly as hell if you ask me.

It’s a camo feature. I imagine military guys might want that. However, for Jon military guys and gals, it’s just for looks. The same can be said for other coated blades, such as Spyderco’s DLC PM2’s.

I took the coating off a Benchmade Griptilian with a green Scotch pad.

An actual Scotch brand pad. Not a dollar store copy.

It took a while but it all came off.

I did take the blade off first.

yeah that demo is just some kind of paint. DLC aint coming off with paint stripper .

blasting or abrasive is the only thing the average guy can use to remove it but keep in mind it will affect the blade as well .

Back