Repaired my Father in Law's Case for Christmas

jprime84

Gold Member
I've not been too actively lately, but wanted to share this work. My FIL knows I used to tinker with fixing up slip joints. This summer he handed me his hard-used Case stockman with a broken off jigged bone scale and asked me if I could help.

I nearly forgot about it, but got my old gear out and fixed it up with some mammoth bark ivory this weekend. It has some cracks, but they are epoxied well to the liners and pinned, plus I ran some superglue into the cracks after finishing to help it hold. Knowing my FIL he will have it covered in mud again in no time anyway. I hope he likes it.

IMG_4900 by Jeff Bailey, on Flickr

IMG_4899 by Jeff Bailey, on Flickr

IMG_4897 by Jeff Bailey, on Flickr

Impressive fix! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:
Your father-in-law ought to be thrilled!
I hope you all have a Happy Christmas! :)

- GT

That looks wonderful! You still got it!

I've not been too actively lately, but wanted to share this work. My FIL knows I used to tinker with fixing up slip joints. This summer he handed me his hard-used Case stockman with a broken off jigged bone scale and asked me if I could help.

I nearly forgot about it, but got my old gear out and fixed it up with some mammoth bark ivory this weekend. It has some cracks, but they are epoxied well to the liners and pinned, plus I ran some superglue into the cracks after finishing to help it hold. Knowing my FIL he will have it covered in mud again in no time anyway. I hope he likes it.

Wonderful job!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Those scales look great!

That looks wonderful! You still got it!
You're too kind sir! I am not happy with the action on the two blade side but short of drilling the pivot out again its as good as it can get. I had trouble lining the bit up with the factory pivot. Even after drilling the side out I couldn't push it through. I ended up only removing the factory pivot on only one side to make it easier on myself for reconstruction.

I think that’s even better than receiving a new one. Definitely one of a kind:thumbsup:

Very nicely done! and the mammoth is very nice, in coloration and character. Great gift!

Awesome work. Very nice of you to fix.

Back