• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Replacement sheath for Ontario Spec-Plus SP1?

Fritz24

Gold Member
Hello! I recently acquired a Spec-Plus SP1 for a song and like it a great deal - esp. for the price! Problem is, the sheath is dreadful in my opinion. My first thought was to look to a Kydex maker and have something made, but I don't especially wish to spend $50+ for a sheath for a $30 knife!

Hence - just wondering if anyone has found a solid replacement sheath for this knife that wasn't too costly - say in the $35 and under category? I like Kydex, but leather would be fine too, so long as it is a sturdy set-up.

All that said - it may just make the most sense to bite the bullet, have a quality Kydex sheath made, and be done with it. Any recommended makers along those lines?

Thanks in advance for any input!

If you're willing to pay $35 for one, look up a guy named Al Welke. His handle on here is azwelke. I believe he charges $33, and his sheaths are IMO incomparable.

Thanks! I honestly doubt I will find a decent sheath for much less - so that's sounds quite reasonable!!

Yes reasonable, and high quality, and addictive.... Dude, all your other knives will want new pants once you buy an azwelke sheath! BTW, his web address is azwelke.com... I think...

I'm a leather sheath maker and have one of these Ontarios. My sheaths start at $25 for a small pocket slip and go up to about $100 for an exotic (shark, snake, etc) inlay, overlay. I totally appreciate where you're coming from not wanting to spend more on the sheath, but at the same time, my knife is completely unused since the sheath is utter junk.

I rarely make something for myself that isn't totally necessary, but I've come to realize that with a fixed blade, the sheath is just as important as the knife.

$35 for a quality kydex sheath sounds like a great deal. :)

I can make a Kydex sheath for you. It would be about 45. Color would be more.

Like others have stated, a sheath is just as important if not more important than the knife. Also the more you get into this hobby and the gun hobby, you'll learn that you'll be spending more on accessories than you do on the item you're buying the accessories for.

I can make a Kydex sheath for you. It would be about 45. Color would be more.

Like others have stated, a sheath is just as important if not more important than the knife. Also the more you get into this hobby and the gun hobby, you'll learn that you'll be spending more on accessories than you do on the item you're buying the accessories for.

Indeed, I have lot's of experience with just that phenomenon from shooting...the quality glass on a precision rifle cost situation comes right to mind!

Thanks everyone - a few things to think over, but I'm pretty sure I know which direction to go in.

Back