Replacement Spyderco Tenacious Bushings?

I recently got a Spyderco Tenacious and have had it a couple of months and have spent a lot of time trying to break it in, even oiling it, adjusting pivot screw, etc. The action seems decent when there is a lot of oil (not ideal) but after a while it just isn't very smooth any more and even makes a little noise.

I finally gave up and decided to take it apart to see WTF is going on. For those familiar with the knife, they appear to normally have 2 larger diameter bushings and 2 smaller ones (one with a slightly oblong ID shape). Sure enough, I am missing one of the small bushings (without the oblong).

I am fully aware that taking it apart voids the warranty. I bought the knife from a private party as new. I am not trying to ask Spyderco to fix or replace it, but they wont even sell me the bushing!! I also don't want to bother with the seller. A little background, I do all my own work on my dirtbikes, mountainbikes, road bikes, racing karts and the majority of work on my cars. In other words, I know how to turn a wrench. I am not going to send the dang thing to Syderco and wait 3+ weeks (this is what they claim) and then pay a bunch of money for something that I can very simply do on my own if I had the correct part.

Is there another way/source to get the part or an aftermarket replacement?

Taking it apart doesn't void the warranty.

If the knife came missing the washer the previous party probably has a different definition of "new" than most of us.

I would just send it to Spyderco to get fixed properly. It'll cost you a few bucks. You could ask a machine shop to replicate the bushing but installing a part like that would void the warranty.

Ok...so...having had a couple tenacious’s and a number of spydercos...sometimes there are uneven amounts of “bushings” (plastic or pb or nylon, or a mixture of both). This is a cheap way to center the blade on a production knife. It can also temporarily fix other issues. This could very well be the case. Just a thought.

@David Mary has a number of tenacious’ and may chime in. :)

Back