Replacing Saw on Leatherman Charge

I am a minimialist backpacker. I like to carry only my SAK Outrider or Leatheman Charge when I go out backpacking. The most abuse my knife blade gets is opening up the packages of dehydrated food and I can easily sharpen the straight blade myself. However, I use the saw quite a bit to cut suitable size twigs for a small evening fire and I am worrying it is starting to get dull.

I was wondering how to sharpen the saw or... better yet, if Leatherman can replace the saw blade with a new one?

Thanks

Your best bet is to contact Leatherman directly for details. They can install a new one, but I wouldn't know whether it's a free-bee or not. :)

wildstar said:
I am a minimialist backpacker. I like to carry only my SAK Outrider or Leatheman Charge when I go out backpacking. I most abuse my knife blade gets is opening up the packages of dehydrated food and I can easily sharpen the straight blade myself. However, I use the saw quite a bit to cut suitable size twigs for a small evening fire and I am worrying it is starting to get dull.

I was wondering how to sharpen the saw or... better yet, if Leatherman can replace the saw blade with a new one?

Thanks

It might take a good long while before that is necessary. I have used the saw often during 8 years of Supertooling and it still cuts very well.

I have sharpened the saws on many SAKs over the years by laying the blade ABSOLUTELY FLAT on a diamond stone and stroking until sharp. The saw on the charge appears to be of the same design and shoud sharpen nicely with the same method.

Leatherman will replace the diamond file if you wear it out, so a worn saw would not be a problem. I honestly can't imagine that you have blunted it that much though. Did you hit something while sawing or do you use it solely on very hard woods?

Thanks for all the replies

No, I did not dull it by cutting through bone or anything hard. It still cuts great but as the years go by, it will naturally get duller. I just use is a lot - my only saw for everything when I am out in the woods. I cut mainly softwood here in the Northwest. I guess it might be more of a comfort level thing. I try to do everything with my multi-tool and just want all the blades to continuing functioning at its best.

Back