Replacing thumbstuds on Kershaw Storm

kindred_spirits

Gold Member
Hey guys. I like the Kershaw Storm a lot, but the only thing I dislike is the angled sharp thumbstuds. Has anybody replaced these themselves? How difficult is it to do? If I won't be able to do it, how much would it cost for a somebody to do it for me? Thanks.

I replaced both of my Kershaw Vapors thumbstud because they were too pointy to use comfortably...but I have no experience with the Storm, sorry..

I second kindred_spirits questions on the Kershaw Storm thumbstuds- I love the knife (It very quickly became my new EDC at work) but I'd really like to replace them with something that doesn't chew up my thumb quite so much.

~Kris

They do not just unscrew , most of the time they are held fast with loctite.

They do not just unscrew , most of the time they are held fast with loctite.

I just unscrewed the thumbstuds on my Bradley Alias with very little problem. Did I get lucky? I've heard that sometimes you may have to do some strategic heating with a soldering iron. How does one do that? Also, is the blue loctite good enough? That's what I put things back together with on the Alias.

I've gotten lucky like that as well , more not than often though :D

Yea , usually what I will do is take a half paper towel , wet it , wrap it carefully around the blade while keeping the thumbstud exposed and then use a little micro torch to gently heat the stud , then pliers padded with duct tape so as not to mar the stud.

Yea I too use the blue , if you went with red loctite and wanted to do more work on it , you would have a much tougher time getting the parts , apart.

What I did on my own was grind the one on there flat. Then once it was flat and basically as flush to the blade or as close as I could get it without making too much of a mess of things, I drilled a #44 hole right through the old stud and mounted a new one to my liking.

The old stud is in there pretty good and without a press of some kind I doubt you'll get it out and if you do it will be very hard to find one aftermarket that will fit that size hole so you are best off to leave the old on in place.

STR

Back