Reproduction Russel?

Auglaize117

Gold Member
Platinum Member
I was cruising the internet (you can guess where) and ran across this Russell Barlow for sale. I noticed the center pin location was closer to the bolster and as I've come to understand the original Russell's have a center pin that is centered within the handle. Can anyone verify this for me? All help is appreciated.
s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure. By the center pin "centered in the handle" are you referring to centered in the Delrin portion, or the over-all closed length?

If the latter, the center pin looks mighty close to being in the middle.

How does the tang stamp match up to what's in the charts?

I'm not positive, but I am pretty sure the original Russell was one of the many companies that went under, or were bought out during the great depression. Didn't Schrade have the name for a bit, or build the Russell knives under contract for a while?

Not sure. By the center pin "centered in the handle" are you referring to centered in the Delrin portion, or the over-all closed length?

If the latter, the center pin looks mighty close to being in the middle.

How does the tang stamp match up to what's in the charts?

I'm not positive, but I am pretty sure the original Russell was one of the many companies that went under, or were bought out during the great depression. Didn't Schrade have the name for a bit, or build the Russell knives under contract for a while?
Schrade did make a 100 year commemorative model of the Russell in 1975
Colonial also made one and is the darker one

All of the Copies that I have seem to be well made

Harry

I meant centered in the derlin. I should have titled the thread as "reproduction or original".

I was cruising the internet (you can guess where) and ran across this Russell Barlow for sale. I noticed the center pin location was closer to the bolster and as I've come to understand the real Russell's have a center pin that is centered within the handle. Can anyone verify this for me? All help is appreciated.
View attachment 1411588
I think you called it okay . As for as I know , all of the copies or reproductions were well built and I am trying to get one of each of them to go with my originals .

Harry

Thanks for the help! I'm far from an expert on these and was hoping to get an opinion from someone much more knowledgeable than myself. I was thinking this pin position was camillus, but wasn't sure.

Back