Repurposing an Old Rug: Pictorial History of a Complex Project

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
We have a good friend named Cara. Cara is not big on blending in, which is a good thing since she is very tall for a gal at about 6'3". She came to us with an idea and it turned out to be the most complex, intricate, involved and difficult project Horsewright was ever involved in. What follows is basically a pictorial history of the event (actually took place here and there for a couple of months) finally finishing off on the weekend after New Years. This will be a longish post and I'll problably not get er done all at once so check back every once in a while if this interests you, there will probably be more. As always , comments question etc are very welcome.

So Cara brought over George. George is an old bearskin rug. I hung him over the office door to keep him out of the way, named him George and shook hands with him every morning when I'd go into the office. Cara said she'd like us to make her a pair of "woolies" using George. Woolies are leggings with hair on on the outside of the leg. Bear, buffalo. angora, sheepskin and all manner of critters have been used for this purpose. Woolies are an old style legging from the 1800s that are kinda making a resurgence. They are very expensive and difficult to make. I'd never made a pair and I've made many hundreds of pairs of different types of leggings. Woolies can be made as full chaps eiither batwing or shotgun styles or as chinks a shorter style of legging.

Cara wanted the yoke to be carved in a dragonfly pattern. Not just a dragonfly but a tatoo style dragonfly. This created a design change right from the get go as what she wanted would not fit on any of our standard yoke patterns. Hold on here we go:

Nichole carving the tatoo dragonfly on the new yoke pattern:

2CuFkvL.jpg

Here she has all the bevelling done and is doing the bar backgrounding. Meanwhile out in the shop I'm working on other parts. Here is one leg with the double fringe overlay part cut out. The original plan was to have the whole leg tourqouise with pink highlight fringe but that side wasn't big enough so we had to flop the colors. I also had to change the top of the leg quite a bit due to the new yoke pattern,.

jwI0HEN.jpg

After laying George out on the workbench I was pretty sure George wasn't enough bear for our project. I was very heistant to cut him up. Couple weeks later Cara had Roberto with her. Roberto was quite a bit more bear than George. However he was also a lot older. Roberto had some bald spots from moths and wear as well as other defects.. It was a challenge to get enough good material out of Roberto the rug but I did. Here he was split up the backbone.

sOfoGma.jpg

After shaping Roberto to the size we needed for each leg there was a lot of hair trimming and shaving to do. The bearhide had to be glued to the pink leather and the the tourqoise fringe piece would in effect become a binding over the top, finishing the raw edge of the hide.

tods2Nk.jpg

We spent a lot of time fitting parts together. Here we're making sure the hide is in the right spot and then being over lapped correctly by the yoke. The yoke has been finished with its tooling but has not yet been oiled or finished.

C9s0T42.jpg

One of the most difficult parts was getting the bottom of the hides to fit just right. There are many pairs of woolies out there where the hide is just squared off. Part of our design criteria was to have the hair hanging down over the bottom in a natural fashion. Making this happen was tough. Finally came up with the idea of cutting the leather part of the hide extral long, taping back the guard hairs, trimming the fine fur back up underneath the guardhairs and then trimming the leather part of the hide to fit. Sounds easy, wasn't.

Loy6IO3.jpg

UrKlxt2.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing on: many of the woolies that we looked at just sewed the inside of the hide down to the legging leather. We wanted to be more finished than that, so we made this binding to cover the hide edge and sew it to the leg where the hide was not going to be covered by the fringe piece. Here Nichole is sewing it on using her Cobra 18.

LoIrZqk.jpg

The other leg with the binding waiting to be sewn.

4hlHaSY.jpg

Sewing this project was tough. Keeping the hair of the hide out of the way was a constant challenge and often times 4 hands and sometime 6 were used

Ct6NAqx.jpg

We turned the dining room table into a workbench too. Here Cara is glueing on the tourqouise reinforcement pieces that are seen on the leg piece in the foreground next to the magazine.

4zAuDC7.jpg

0Elos6b.jpg

Here are the two dragonfly yokes. They have been oiled, finished and had the edges rubbed. They are waiting thier turn to get glued on.

BCLn1DW.jpg

Cara holding stuff out of the way while Nichole is sewing the top of the leg reinforcement.

OXbzDdI.jpg

Sewing the yoke on. It goes over the hide, over the top leg reinforcement piece and over the fringe piece.

dbc9cIp.jpg

Glueing on the leg plates took an old guy, six hands and a can of creativity.

foMaf2j.jpg

Fringe cut, belts made and leg straps done. First fitting. Cara jumped up on the bathtub to get a full view in the mirror.

TuBaxzi.jpg

Back of the leg detail.

ROuYZFf.jpg

nB1PJHh.jpg

Detail of the leg plate. The copper conchos hold on the leg straps on the other side. All buckles on this set of leggings are copper too.

EvEhcYA.jpg

How the fringe overlay finished off the bottom and the outside of the hide.

3NruJRD.jpg

All finished:

aQyk0ih.jpg

Good thing Cara doesn't like blending in cause you'll sure see her in these. Whadya think?

Last edited:
Absolutely fabulous, Dave, Nichole, and Cara!

Dave always remember "no good deed goes unpunished":D

Paul

That has to win the prize of most unusual " and Such " that I have seen here :)
I love seeing the process of design and manufacture of your work Dave .
Hope you had a safe , happy and fun Christmas - New Year .

Ken

Thanks guys. It was a lot of work and time John, a lot. Lot of cussin and discussin too on how to do it. Thanks Paul. You know it really was Cara that had the vision. Nichole was so against the deal she wasn't gonna put our makers mark on em. "What dragonflys? I don't tool dragonflys." But as it progressed the project kinda grabbed us. I really wasn' seeing it and neither was Cara's husband Tyler. But Cara was. She kept telling Nichole that her job (Cara's) was to push us out of our box, out of our comfort zone. She did. Really proud with how they came out.Thanks Ebb and Ken. Ken yes we did and thanks for asking hope you didi too. Plus its raining and snowing. Last 5 years we've averaged 4 inches of rain a year. We're already at 16 plus this year. We had 4.14 inches between Tuesday morning and Friday morning. This is me doing the happy dance.

Plus we got George over the back of the chair in the living room. What are we going to do with George? Talking aobut sticking him up on the wall. We'll see.

Tell us a little about cutting a fur on hide.
From the little that I've done, I used a razor to cut the skin side 'almost' thru and pulled it apart the rest of the way.
No cutting hairs or cut hairs flying around.
Well that's what I was taught ages ago... on a rabbit skin piece that I did.

Pushing the envelope... yup you sure were and you sure did lick the stamp on it :D

Echo all those above, very cool, glad you took the time to document that for us! simply amazing sir!
G2

The leggings came out real nice. I had to view the pictorial a few times to take it all in. It taught me a lot on how they are constructed, the attention to detail, and the complexity of using hair on hide. Thanks for posting. Horsewright should be proud.
John

Thanks sonil and Ebbtide! Ebb I cut the hide fur side up using a roller knife. I had to keep it that side up because of the bald spots (also some less than tanned/rawhidey spots to cut through and around) and still have two of the shapes and sizes I needed. However as you mentioned hair everywhere. It did also leave cut/squared hairs and we were looking for that more natural "hang" so we used the scissors to cut back up under. Course that created more hair everywhere but it did work giving us the edge we wanted plus the leather part of the hide somewhat clean to sew to. Thanks Gary and John and John we are. Came out way cooler than I was expecting. Thanks Macan, Ya know it could of been a Roberita not a Roberto, no way of telling at the stage I came across em. Roberita could do the cover shot.

Last edited:
Love to see someone with it on from different angles to see it in its complete grandeur. It looks beautiful.

Spyder I agree. Got some pics to take yet. And horseback too. We've just havn't had the weather yet. Soon as we do though I'll get em took and posted in this thread.

Amazing man, they look great, a ton of work there for sure. She certainly will get a lot of looks with them, please tell me her saddle is not pink :)

Thanks pugs. No no pink saddle, but she does have one that has a pink crystal butterfly on the rear of the cantle.

Back