Recommendation? Requesting sword steel advice

I’ve been thinking of commissioning a sword for some time now, and have finally decided to actually ask for advice on the matter. I’ve decided to start with desired material, because why not? I’m going to want a kopis/falcata made. Something similar to this.

ws_falcata_j.jpg

I’m looking for something extremely tough and durable with good edge retention and high corrosion resistance. I’m not made of money, but I accept going into this that a custom built sword isn’t going to be cheap, so I’d rather have to save up for quality than squander my cash on crap.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I like CPM 3V. It technically isn't quite stainless, but is close and meets your other requirements nicely.
I bought a couple pieces a few months ago. In the scope of a sword project, there isn't much to be saved by going cheaper. Especially if someone is charging you for the work.

High corrosion resistance , good edge retention. I have a nice kukri of 440B and it makes an excellent choice for your use . Your photo shows little need for anything other than sheet for stock removal .Easy to make .

3V with a low temper is super stain resistent as far as rhe midwest is concerned. I have beat the crap out of choppers in it and always put away wet.

If you wanted extreme toughness or more so then 3V i would use Cpm1V or Ztuff. I did buy a piece of ztuff that was 2.75x28x0.280 and it was like 200plus dollars lol.
The problem with 5160 or 8670 is they will rust fast in comparison. Those CPM steels are like 7 to 8 percent chrimonim.

For whatever it's worth I think you are asking the wrong audience, and the wrong question. Not because their suggestions on different steel types aren't sound, they are. However, what you probably really need to be doing is determining WHO you wish to make your sword...and who is willing to take the commission. Right off hand, I can't think of anyone doing falcata or kopis (Manning Imperial might be an option) that does a really good version. That doesn't mean they aren't out there, I just can't think of anyone off hand. Once you find your maker, you should ask them what steel they are most comfortable with and go from there. You don't want them being constrained into something they aren't adept at working... you won't like the result. Also, in my opinion, your average user is not going to notice a difference between carbon steel x and carbon steel y if it is properly heat treated.

Back