Required For Survival ...

22-rimfire 22-rimfire Nothing wrong with being a "cheapskate". That gift can help keep you from spending $60,000 plus for a daRn pickup "truck" or "SUV". :)

(believe it or not, in some areas of the country (small town, Missouri and Idaho, for example) you can still buy a fit to live in house (with the yard) for $60,000 or a little less. I might be "crazy" (Not "insane". There is a difference.) but 60 grand for a house seems a much better deal than the same amount for a dang pickup "truck" or "SUV".)
You can do the same thing here. But the location tends to be in the higher crime areas. Here that means minority members mostly for the most part. Grand daughter bought a modest house out in the country for 100K. It was probably a 60K house when it was built. I thought 12-15K was a lot for a pickup..... times have changed. But I have to say they are a lot nicer these days.

You can do the same thing here. But the location tends to be in the higher crime areas. Here that means minority members mostly for the most part. Grand daughter bought a modest house out in the country for 100K. It was probably a 60K house when it was built. I thought 12-15K was a lot for a pickup..... times have changed. But I have to say they are a lot nicer these days.
I think my most expensive pickup was $750 (1966 IHC 1100A. :) I traded it for three Corvair when I had surgery on right knee and hip. :( )

I think my most expensive pickup was $750 (1966 IHC 1100A. :) I traded it for three Corvair when I had surgery on right knee and hip. :( )
From my point of view, that was a poor choice. :D But to each their own. I got my first pickup in 1980 but drove them for work all the time. My sister's kid bought a new one as his first vehicle about a year ago. For me, it took a while to make the transition as I grew up not really ever experiencing the convenience of a pickup. That assumes you don't have to haul around a bunch of kids.

From my point of view, that was a poor choice. :D But to each their own. I got my first pickup in 1980 but drove them for work all the time. My sister's kid bought a new one as his first vehicle about a year ago. For me, it took a while to make the transition as I grew up not really ever experiencing the convenience of a pickup. That assumes you don't have to haul around a bunch of kids.
Agree, but, a "three on the tree" and right leg in cast do not play well together. I had to use left foot for gas and brake. The Corvair's had a powerslide automatic.
I do miss that pickup ... and the (1960 and 1963) Corvair's, if I'm gonna be honest about it. :D

I'm a coffee-a-holic. I haven't tried instant coffee for decades now, but hey, maybe it is better now? If I can find a small jar of something decent I'll give it a go again. I bring tea a lot. Nothing fancy, just orange pekoe. The cold clean air really seems to enhance the flavor. Just a touch of sugar is enough for me.

For a few nights out, I brew a large stove top espresso maker (Moka) before setting off, let it cool down and transfer to a bottle or jar. I drink strong black coffee, (Americano, as we say in Europe!) So a quarter to one third of the cold espresso topped with boiling water. Instantly at drinking temperature. Otherwise, tea bags!

Can't live without it.

I buy the boxes of five-pack Folger single-serving instant at the local dollar store. Very convenient and economical.

If we're camping coffee is the first order of business each morning. My first cup or two will be using my Jetboil and press. I'm still amazed at how quick it makes delicious coffee. I'll then put a pot on and if my timing is good coffee is perking by the time I get the campfire going. I carry an ESEE tin in my day-pack with a few food and drink items. Included are several of the Tasters Choice coffee packets. If you buy the large box(80 packets) it works out to $0.17 per cup. If coffee isn't your thing but you want the caffeine the Celestial Seasonings Energy Tea is a great option. I keep a couple packs of both green and black in the tin. During hunting season I put a bag in my water bottle and make "cold brew" as I'm walking.
http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/green/energy-tea-green-tea

If we're camping coffee is the first order of business each morning. My first cup or two will be using my Jetboil and press.

It seems to be a common opinion that a press makes great coffee and it also seems to be the only coffee-making gadget I've never tried.

A percolator is my preference if I'm not traveling light. I have three percolators ranging from a very old and tiny 2-cup model I found at a yard sale to a 6-cup and 10-cup size. The taste is so different and distinctive from drip and instant that I leave the big percolator in my kitchen and sometimes use it at home.

jkd1 has it right. Trader Joe's little sleeves of coffee with creamer and sugar. Taste great, quick to make, cheap. Oh, and they have a long shelf life.

Back