1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Res c handle swap ...

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by luethge, Apr 28, 2018.

1. luethge

luethge Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2017
    Sorry to post a full thread to ask a question.

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried , or successfully swapped out a Busse Combat Basic ( old style ) res c handle for a newer swamp/ scrap / busse style res c handle ?

I know the tangs would have to be a very similar stock thickness.

I was thinking about attempting to switch a basic 11 grip out for a newer one.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, much appreciated!

2. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    I know that someone at the Yard had sent his B11's into Busse to change the old Res-c for the new one. I don't know if anyone did it themselves...

luethge likes this.
  3. COPIUOS

COPIUOS Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Heads up - I think AZTIMT has a thread not too far back that goes through this in good detail.

luethge likes this.
  4. luethge

luethge Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2017
    found the thread .. Thank you COPIUOS !

5. Sethrotull

Sethrotull

Jun 4, 2009
    It's been done by the custom shop. Not that that will help you right now.

Some of the newer blades have prongs holding the res c handles on so it might be more difficult to remove those.

luethge likes this.
  6. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Breavis did it too. Been a while.

luethge likes this.
  7. AZTimT

AZTimT The Stripetition Finish Guy Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 15, 2009
    I tried it with different thickness blades and similar ones. It won't work out very well unless they are within a few thousandths of each other. ;)

luethge likes this.
  8. Still Voracious

Still Voracious INFIDEL

Sep 7, 2016
    I had the exact thing done when b-11’s came out. That was when the custom shop was still open, though

luethge likes this.
  9. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Never even thought of that and I must grudgingly admit that the new style might improve the grip especially for heavy chopping, but I still love my OG res C grip, and Im not sure if the improved grip would make that much real world difference. There is such a thing as too much power for chopping and what i love about the B11 is that its so well balanced and relatively light. It never, or very rarely get stuck in the wood whereas my BB13 can get stuck easily and i have to angle my chops to avoid it which os great too but my B11 can deliver those heavy vertical chops at will.

HST and luethge like this.
  10. amflud

amflud Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2009
    You might be referring to me. I was glad I had it done.

luethge likes this.