respirators

In the General Discussions forum, under the thread "yuck", the subject of respirators came up. I think it is important to note that just getting a "respirator" is not adequate. You must have the correct respirator/filter combination, and the proper respirator fit to insure protection from the many harmful materials that can be involved in the knife making process. Many materials *are* harmful..pearl, micarta, certain knids of woods, solvents, etc., all present various safety and health hazards that makers and hobbiests need to be aware of.

Rather than repeat the information I posted, read the information in the other thread on respirators. The single most important thing a maker can do is to obtain the Material Safety Data Sheet from the manufacturer of the material they are using. Information on personal protective equipment necessary to protect yourself is on that form. It might be a good idea to post other hazardous materials in the knife making process here, to inform others what to look out for.

I heartily second the message from chance. A well designed, properly fitted respirator, designed to protect you from the toxic substance with which you are working (i.e., gas, particles, etc.)is extremely important. Chance knows what he is talking about. Listen, and save your lungs! Walt Welch MD

DOH!
But I'm a smoker, it's too late to save mylungs hehe. But seriously Doctor Welch, what can happen to me with the short term exposure I have had to the micarta fumes? I feel fine...

But now I'm scared, I think I'm going to switch to a hacksaw for cutting, I've figured out how to power sand without burning the stuff....

Jadis,
Short term, assuming the exposure was not heavy (i.e., didn't look like the Chicago fire), you probably won't notice any ill health effects. Long term, you have probably added a little bit to your total body burden of toxics. I believe there are phenolic resins in the Micarta, along with the particulates to be concerned about. The resin vapors can cause kidney and liver damage. The longer the exposure, and the more concentrated, the more damage can be expected.

How about it Doc? Did I get it right?

Jad...you are also a kid (20 yrs old)..so whatever damage you may have done to your lungs by smoking is reversible if you quit.

Therefore it is both stupid and dangerous to assume that you can't do further damage.

I'm glad you are scared..I know I came across brutally in the chat the other day but that seemed to be the only way to get you to stop making jokes and listen.

As "chance" is saying, there are 2 dangers to your lungs (actually 3)...particulates, and toxic fumes (the 3 rd would be acidic or alkaline vapors). Please follow his advice, some of us like you.

DC - don't think marrow and nerve damage comes from phenols. Target organs are eyes, skin, respiratory, kidney and liver. Bad enough, though, don't you think? Respirator recommended is chemical cartridge with HEPA (high efficiency particulate), like for asbestos and spray painting. Smokers are at increased risk of damage. (I know - love my Partagas!)

Bottom line is - get that MSDS, read and follow the personal protective equipment section.

Oh yeah - at 20, damage from smoking will reverse itself if you stop smoking. No sense in adding to that total body burden.

Yeah yeah, I know smoking is (relatively) quickly reversible. I was only joking! yeesh...

Well, it's addictive, it's hard to quit, I'm trying (but not right now hehe). Anyway, it's hacksaws for me now (they're cheaper then respirators...)

Back