Response to combined threads (Knife vs Knife & 5'6" vs 6'4")

Gentleman I have chosen to combine these two threads because they are of the same origin or should I say the Knife thread has evolved to this.
First of all it was my understanding that the original post from mschwoeb was for some info. on a knife fight involving someone else who has obviously brandished a knife. I am also sure he/she is not looking for this experience anytime soon.
Next the introduced handgun issue; well argued but misunderstood.
Then it was the size thread, about what to do, if anything.
Finally a lawyer who admits it!

Both of these threads are now to be combined all of your concerns are of the same foundation. What bothers me is if you all are this serious than have Andy Prisco set up a class for you, and I will put this all to rest, once and for all!
I would not only demonstrate to you the appropriate state of mind but also a way to combine all of your fundamental fighting skills, so that if you had nothing or if you had a knife or gun it would all be the same.
In the event this does not happen, I will give you my thoughts on all of this.
It seems that some of you think it is easier and cheaper to argue your cases with words, but I DO NOT! That is why I say bring your guns and knives and I will show you.
I tend to get annoyed when people TALK about these issues this gets my scruff up!
IF YOU WANT TO KNOW, THEN LETS DO THIS!

Now that I have that off my chest I realize some of you may not have the time or $ so I will continue to do my very best with the written word here.
The size thing is interesting yet ludicrous all at the same time. It is interesting to me that you don't really realize that size doesn't matter and ludicrous because God forbid it happens what are you going to do, "say he is bigger than me and quit"?
One of first things that I was taught about life and death is that when size/strength is an issue one may compensate by introducing a weapon. Next is, how do you know if the muggers on the size thread are just going to ruff you up? What if they kill you by accident? When are you going to decide to take a chance and fight or let it happen because they are just "going to ruff you up"?
Now lets throw in some lawyer stuff; what justifies one in the use of deadly force (nation wide); one must be in fear for his life or someone else’s and you will have to effectively convey this to a grand jury or court of law. In the end, if one really fears for their life nothing else matters, anything goes! Afterward, sometimes immediately if your smart, you start playing the game, like calling for an ambulance because you didn't really wish to kill someone. You were just trying to stop them from doing what they were doing and now you really want to help them.
There is so much one can learn about the fight and it does not take years to master these skills it just takes desire. The fight is not decided by, "the dog in the fight but rather the fight in the dog", you must believe this otherwise I have nothing further to offer you.
I don't know if you guys read the other threads but it is all the same stuff.
It all starts with your mentality!@$#^%$^%^&*!
The final word on the size issue is this it is all-relative. I am 6'1" 210 and there is a huge # of people that are bigger than me. I do not care it means nothing to me.
There is one thing on all people and animals that is the same, it is void of the size strength issue, and that is their head. But it is not void of the content issue.
You will have to think about that one on your own.
In reference to fighting fundamentals and the gun vs. whatever issue, let me remind you that I do not care who you are, things can and do go wrong.
Here you are a bad guy at 20' or whatever, he begins to run at you as fast as he can saying he is going to kill you:
1. Do you believe he can and are you in fear for your life.
2. The obvious is a given if you see a weapon then it's an easy day.
3. If you don't see a weapon what does that mean?
Now you attempt to shoot and you miss.
Now you shoot hit, and he is still coming, even if he is dead on his feet.
Now you attempt to shoot and your gun breaks or malfunctions.
Now you shoot and hit, but he has on a ballistic vest.
I can go on and on……………
I have closed on people from approximately 20' over and over, these attacks are all well documented on video. I do not believe in using my students as ego fodder; if I am not willing to demonstrate the technique full go at anytime with anyone then I am just a shyster.
I also would add here that not only would I tell a student (usually trained pro.) exactly what I am going to do. I will give them an increased advantage by allowing the weapon to be cocked and unsecured. All I ask a student to do is when they see me begin to move try to get off one well placed shot so that you know it's a head shot, as this is the most positive method in stopping me.
I am at about 90% on students never getting one round off and 100% on more than one. Of the students that get one round off probably 80% of those shots are either non-lethal or at least not immediately lethal and if they don't get another one off WHERE AM I?

Now regardless of what weapon one has should they not know the fundamentals of fighting? Because sooner or later your tools can and will fail, it is the law of averages. If every decision you make has to be worth your life than I guess you better learn or as we say in the Navy quit and ring out.
Please don't gauge your ability by goofing around with someone because I bet your not ripping their eyes out!
Please don't tell me about multiple offenders my record to date without guns to the best of my knowledge is four, three guys and one girl, and that’s not counting my bar and riot time.
Again I SAY, "IF I DO NOT KNOW THE WAY, I WILL FIND THE WAY" I do not quit so I will never know how to and I do not concern myself with someone else's abilities rather I concern myself with what I can control which is my abilities.
So train, train, train with someone who knows. If you say I cannot, then start by at least training your mind.

If you train with him, CJ WILL demonstrate mindset and a whole other host of things. You'll feel the effects on yourself from his mindset and techniques. That alone is worth training with him...

It brings back why I've also said training in person with someone knowledgeable and experienced, such as CJ, is the only way to really learn CQB/self-defense/tactics, etc.

We could all type until we're blue in the face but when has anyone ever written a self-defense real-time against an attacker? ;)

The only thing we'll get good at by posting on forums is our typing skills... :D

Best,

Brian.

Well said Chris. One of the advantages of training with someone who has experience forged in the crucible of battle is that their intensity tends to bleed over into the tactics. Ability, belief in self, endurance to adversity (read pain), and indominable will are really what people like Chris have to offer. Tools, body mechanics, and fundamental principles of combat can actually be figured out with proper guidance and I don't think anyone should look to Chris for "the way", as he is only the torch bearer to one's own unique path. The ability to temper and forge a man's mind and spirit is the greatest joy that people like Chris experience. Don't be frustrated if his answers seem vague because there is no manual for fighting for your life; only the moment. Embody the principle and go from there on your own young squire.

I enjoyed our time together at the S.H.O.T. show Chris and still intend to bring you in for team training. T. Ertle is back from overseas, is doing well, and says to tell you hello.

Amen CJ,
Ive been thinking of some questions to pose to you but I can see your much more of an action oriented sort.
I was bummed that your Tomahawk seminar was all the way in New Jersey.
Id consider it an honor to attend your seminar if you could hold one in the Portland, Oregon vicinity.
Any chance of this, Andy?
Dont get too fed up with us cyber debating ad nauseum types, I for one really appreciate your insights and the information I can glean from your posts.
Its a pleasure to have you here!

Damn straight! I have experience with the little guy against way bigger guy scenario. Attitude brought me out on top.

Thank you CJ for a most illuminating reply. Your elucidation on this matter which concerns a great number of us who live in cities is greatly appreciated.

I applaud your attitude and welcome your advice on techniques and tactics for urban survival. Rarely, do I come across a person who throws down the gauntlet as a motivating force.

I am only disappointed that I am not staying where you are located. Otherwise, I would be glad to learn from you. Having put this point across, I am happy to announce that on my side of the world too, we have some experts who can and will impart their knowledge on "survival on the streets."

It is heartening that there are people like you CJ who are more than willing to teach people like us who sometimes ask lots of "terrible" questions. Not many will suffer fools but patience is often called a virtue.

Thanks for the answer. It was most educational and informative.

Mr. Caracci: Do you ever plan to offer any seminars out here in southern CA? I would really like to attend one of your seminars on the Lagana tomahawk. Thanks.

one of the toughest individuals i know of is 5'5 160lbs, ex marine recon, bullrider, competitive weightlifter and boxer, trained in some MA stuff while in korea, tim would fight anyone, anytime, anywhere, and proved it more than once when we was kids lol - he got me in more trouble.... - he currently is para plegic from a private aircraft crash, and was the only one of 3 to survive the crash - still a tough man imho, even in a wheel chair (and well armed w/a HK .45 carried 24/7)

so it is the fight in the dog, imho

sifu

Back