Rest in Peace Ron Andersen

Bobby B

No more Mr. Knife-guy
One of our own passed away last week suddenly; Ron Andersen formerly of SOG and a long-time moderator here will be missed. He leaves behind a wife and two sons.

The service was today, and I will share the letter I sent to his wife.

If anyone wishes to send condolences, or a contribution to the education fund for his two boys, please let me know. I will forward any replies posted here as well.

As I sit here, still in shock over the sudden passing of a friend I never met, I think back to many hours of conversations, and the words of an old song echo in my mind:

A little shy and sad of eye, but very wise was he
And then one day, a magic day he passed my way
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me: "The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"

I first encountered Ron about 12 years ago when he worked at SOG, and he amazed me with his customer service. In the course of the exchange we started to chat, and soon the issue I had became strictly secondary as we discussed our worlds. First we discovered we shared a love of gadgets – big boy toys: from the knives of SOG, to watches, cameras and cars (the 300Z was one of my favourites too). Then there was our love of our families, and both have wives named Michelle, whom we married on the 24th of June…

Over the years we talked – a lot. Sometimes we’d go for months without, then we’d both apologize at the almost the same time, and pick up where we were. We talked in happy times, and sad, in contented times, and in troubled. We each knew that the other would listen without judgment, and support without reserve. When I was unemployed, I talked to Ron, when I went through a difficult time with my wife, we spoke again. His message was always of hope, and to love my wife unconditionally and let her know it.

When my daughter was born, Ron was wonderful! He sent books with wonderful dedications, and gave advice to a father-without-a-clue… He was not shy to say that love was the most vital of ingredients in a home and family. I know that he loved his family without reserve, and would do anything for them. In an e-mail from last December, he wrote about all the challenges and then said this, with a dose of his dry humour:

“With all this stated and with Thanksgiving just behind us, life isn’t all that bad when stepping back out from under the microscope and examining the big picture. I have a wonderful, loving wife who is concerned about me and my welfare. I do have two excellent sons of whom I am extremely proud. I have health (let me put it this way…it could certainly be worse…much, much worse!!!) and a sound mind (though some might wonder…just kidding). … There is love & peace in our home …there are daily hugs and kisses to/from all.”

I look at the pictures of the boys, and see that Ron lives on in them. I would like to come to visit and meet Michelle and the boys and share happy memories of Ron. Perhaps through them, I will get to know him better, he was a good man.

Ironically we never met. Every time I was to come out, something got in the way. Perhaps it was because of this that we could talk so freely; we were kindred spirits who found each other across a continent without actually meeting. I know that one day we will finally meet, but until then I will miss my friend.

Last edited:
I never met Ron Andersen in person. :(

We talked many times on the phone after he left SOG.

He was a very nice person to me.........I won't forget that.

His dedication to SOG shows in his many post over the years on BF to answer peoples questions about SOG knives.

Rest in peace Ron Andersen.

Robbie Roberson.
Inventor of the SOG SEAL Revolver knife.

So very sorry for the loss of your friend. What a wonderful frienship you had. One does not have to meet the body to touch the soul....

My deep condolences to his wife, his children and the rest of his family....as well as to you.

Prayers for strength and peace to those who loved him.

Kind regards, Spinner

I sense the joy and value you have through your conversations with this man. He continues to live in your memories, and influence what you do. That is what happens when you lose a good friend, and a good person. There truly is a loss, but the gain is much greater than the loss.

I know that one day we will finally meet, but until then I will miss my friend.

The greatest sorrow of life on Earth, and the greatest promise of the world to come.
I hope his family, and you, can take some comfort from it.
He was certainly one of the good guys.

Godspeed Mr. Andersen.
angelsad.gif

mqqn

I'm sorry and saddened to hear this. My sincere condolences to his friends and family.

He was a good guy - apart from being a Super Moderator here...

His wife and the boys are dealing with it as well as can be expected, I will pass on any messages here or those sent to me for them.
Thanks guys.

Ron was a very good moderator and I always enjoyed his posts. He brought a lot of enthusiasm to our hobby. It would be nice to see what he looked like as I don't remember ever seeing a picture of him.

Rest in peace Mr. Anderson

My sincere condolences go out to his family & loved ones.

Wow. I was not aware. Sorry to hear. I'm sure Ron is just fine. Its always those left behind I worry about. I wish those left behind well and will keep them in my thoughts today. Thanks for letting us know.

STR

Back