Restoring a Hammer

I found a nice old rusty claw hammer and I'd like to de-rust and rehang, it's much straighter than any hammer I've seen before and I wasn't sure which handle to choose (length/shape), I was thinking the Carpenter Octagon 16/18" from House Handles would be a good choice but thought it wiser to ask for suggestions first.

You'll need to verify the eye size and design. Best would be to take it to the hardware store to match it up. Many hardware stores and lumber suppliers who support the trades will carry Vaughan handles. I highly recommend them.

Handles in the 16" to 18" range are usually on framing hammers and you didn't say what yours is? It wouldn't be my thing on a finish hammer for instance but it's your hammer.

I'm not sure what kind it is it's the first time I've seen the style/pattern, I'll post a photo in a little bit when I get home

ok so I figured it out (surprised it took me so long) it’s just a regular claw hammer I guess it’s called a rip claw since it’s straight instead of curved, I’m surprised I haven’t seen one in all my working with tools, the face is smooth (so finishing hammer right?) and the current handle is only about 12” so guess I should just try to find something similar to replace it.

too much rust to tell yet, just dropped it into some vinegar so hopefully I’ll find something when it comes out, will report back

I can make out ‘p&c 8816r’ I don’t see a weight but I dropped it back into the bath to get in the nooks

'88 maybe year of production (although maybe not ..

"1974…P&C brand is finally dropped. Proto and Challenger are about the only brands currently being produced at the old P&C plant. In the past, at various times, Vlchik, Fleet, Penens, Plomb, were all produced as well. Blackhawk, and Williams (among possible others), had tools produced at P&C, most likely under special contract orders."

..."
https://www.pnctools.com/pc-factory/pc1941-1990/

Last edited:
uYINbDO.jpg

I wound up getting a couple of these 12" ones w/no lacquer

Back