Restoring old camco scout

Hello! My name is Joshua and i'm new here.
Just started the knife restoration hobby after being inspired by the KnifeDoctor on YouTube.

I just bought a camco usa scout knife for 10€
But my main issue is that i don't know how to get the scratches out of the metal.

Looks like someone took a dremel and went to town on the main blade.

I've tried the sandpaper method and also my diamond coated sharpening plates but nothing really works.

Any tips?

Kind regards,

Joshua from the Netherlands.

Sure looks like that. I wonder what previous owner had in his mind.
I'm looking at those scratches and wondering if they can be removed.
I wish i could upload photo's here to show you the issue but i don't know how?

As I understand you need a host site but I don't know more.
I'm using Google Drive and post a link of my photos.

Hello! My name is Joshua and i'm new here.
Just started the knife restoration hobby after being inspired by the KnifeDoctor on YouTube.

I just bought a camco usa scout knife for 10€
But my main issue is that i don't know how to get the scratches out of the metal.

Looks like someone took a dremel and went to town on the main blade.

I've tried the sandpaper method and also my diamond coated sharpening plates but nothing really works.

Any tips?

Kind regards,

Joshua from the Netherlands.

Here is the complete photo album

Well; those photos look exactly the same as old Victorinox Hunter knife I restored for a guy from our work.
I started with belt sander and #120 grit paper to ''equalize'' the scratches and then used different grades diamond files (#320 to #2000), then #3000 and #5000 sand paper. The last step was felt and then cotton wheel with green polishing compound.

For cleaning I used brush and TC Tarco cleaner (industrial cleaner/de-greaser), OKS 2611 and water (to wash out the cleaner) and compressed air to dry the knife.

Just look some knife restoration videos on Youtube and use some common sense and you'll be fine.

Welcom to Bladeforums Joshua.

In my opinion there is no way to undo what the previous owner did to that knife. Too much steel has been removed from the blade. Sanding might reduce the appearance of some of the grinding marks, but that's it. Trying to remove all of the grinding marks and make the blade look "nice" would require the removal of a lot more steel and would only make an already thin blade even thinner and more prone to breakage.

Making a buggered knife look nice again, and having a practical cutting tool, are not always compatible.

Last edited:
Welcom to Bladeforums Joshua.

In my opinion there is no way to undo what the previous owner did to that knife. Too much steel has been removed from the blade. Sanding might reduce the appearance of some of the grinding marks, but that's it. Trying to remove all of the grinding marks and make the blade look "nice" would require the removal of a lot more steel and would only make an already thin blade even thinner and more prone to breakage.

Making a buggered knife look nice again, and having a practical cutting tool, are not always compatible.
Thanks for the reply and your input. Very much appreciated.

Here in the Netherlands it's very difficult to find old USA knives so every chance i get i jump on a deal.

What is your opinion on the bent scales? Do you think i can bend/press it back into place using heat and pressure or grind it down to level with the rest?

Thanks for the reply and your input. Very much appreciated.

Here in the Netherlands it's very difficult to find old USA knives so every chance i get i jump on a deal.

What is your opinion on the bent scales? Do you think i can bend/press it back into place using heat and pressure or grind it down to level with the rest?

You're welcome.

I have experience working on blades, but no experience flattening shrunk/warped plastic handles. I'll have to leave that question to people more knowledgeable on the subject.

No, you can't fix the handles. They would have to be replaced.
If you insist on working on the blade, start with a sharp, fine, single cut bastard file to remove the gouges down to a flat surface. You can then use diamond files or sandpaper to refine the finish-if there is any blade left.

Back