Resurfacing Sharpening Stones?

Ok, the stone I have been practicing on has a few smooth spots (and a few rough spots) Can I resurface it?

What kind of stone is it? Sounds like it's clogged and just needs to be cleaned. Let me know what it is and I'll let you know what to do.

If it is clogged you can get some soap or scouring powder and the rough side of a sponge (scouring pad)with hot water and do some serious scrubbing...if it has groves, chips, or ridges I just take mine out to the cement sidewalk and rub it back and forth till smooth.

i have some el cheapo synthetic oil stones and i take some break parts cleaner and hose them with it. This might not be a good idea on good stones but it worked well for me.

Kerosene and Scotch Brite for clogged stones or a piece of flat glass and fine sand to flatten it again.

you can use sandpaper, but it should be backed on something FLAT. I have a plate of glass that I use for these chores (came from www.leevalley.com )

as for what grit to use, use a rough grit but not a super rough one if your stone is a fine stone. I have 90 grit lappign compound that I sprinkle on my lapping plade and use that to resurface my 800 grit waterstone. Then I use that stone to resurface my 4000 grit stone. Your stone, once resurfaced, will cut more aggresively, but this will smoothen out.

Back