Retempering D2

O.K. I have this chunk of industrial D2 blade, probably from kind of machine cutting plastic or something. It has sabre ground and it seems to be hardened to be very hard as it eventually chips.

It has some lenght and I might easy be capable to regrind it into knife (something leukish comes in mind).

But I want to retemper it down (anneal) to some 57-58 RC to be more tough and not to chip so easy.

Assuming its RC 62 now what shall I do?

Can somebody help me? I need temps in C we dont use Fahrenheit any more :D :D :D

Will kitchen stowe be enough equipment to make it happen?

I also eventually regrind it to convex profile.

Thanks much

Jaro

With D2 the final hardness depends on the soak time and quench temperature prior to tempering.
If you want a ball park figure, D2 will settle in at somewhere between Rc58 and Rc60 with a double temper of two hours each done at anywhere from 200C to 500C. The hardness dips slightly in the middle of that range, then comes back up around 500C, before dropping off rapidly. If the steel is properly pre-heated and soaked at 1050C,I would recommend tempering at 500C for two hours,cool to room temperature, and then another 500C temper for two more hours.
Stacy

Back