Review- 16in Fiddleback Machete

I made a thread with my initial impressions earlier. I'm gonna copy the first post from that thread since I'll be posting links in WSS and the gear forum as well.

First, I love my Fiddleback knives (have 4 so far) and I really like Andy so I figured I would like this machete. I was a little taken back when I opened the box though, because it was not what I expected at all. I thought I would be getting a regular machete with a flat set of Andy's scales in place of the plastic handle. Here is what I got... The handle is perfectly designed. I have owned most of the machete designs commercially available and can say that there are pros and cons to all of them. The best slashing machetes are usually 1/16 in thick and very flexible, made of carbon steel for easy field sharpening. The best chopping machetes may be thicker but the more important attribute is that they are weight forward in design. All of the best machetes have an ergonomic handle that is both comfortable and will prevent blisters. Here's the problem, proper machete technique utilizes a pinch grip for the snap cuts. So far I haven't found a machete that is good in a pinch grip that can still chop. I also have not found a machete that is good at chopping (weight forward design) that is light enough to not cause fatigue with extended use.
UNTIL NOW!!!
Here is what I have to say about Andy's design. The is weight forward so it chops well but its also very thin and flexible so it slashes without fatigue. The handle is fully contoured around the sides and fits my hand in a firm chopping grip as well as a pinch grip without any hot spots. Lack of hot spots is the ultimate sign that a machete fits the user. The next thing that stands out about the handle is the very thin area at the top of the handle that fits the pinch grip so well. This is VERY important. None of the slashing machetes I have used, including those in Nicaragua and Costa Rica, have had the handle cut out for the pinch grip. Now, combine the handle with the non-fatiguing thin stock but the weight forward chopping profile and you have a tool that is more versatile than any I have seen. Andy hit a HOME RUN with the design and execution. I was pleased with the Bark River Machete when I got it and thought it was the best I would ever find. Andy's has ousted it. I can't believe the versatility in the design. I am not the type to get so bent out of shape over a knife. Don't get me wrong, I love knives and appreciate them greatly. It's just that this one has blown away my understanding of what a machete was supposed to be. I can't really say anything else about it. It's perfect.

Okay, here is the review.
I've been working with this machete most of the day and figured that after a few hours of brush slashing I should really test out the edge.
Here is the machete, and the wildman sheath. VERY HIGHT QUALITY sheath.

fiddlebackmachete003.jpg

Machetes are used in a pinch grip. The top pic shows the cut out that allows that grip to be comfortable. Very well planned handle shape by Andy.

fiddlebackmachete005.jpg

fiddlebackmachete007.jpg

Here is the battoning test. This is not to test blade strength or anything like that, just to see how the edge hols up.

fiddlebackmachete010.jpg

fiddlebackmachete013.jpg

fiddlebackmachete014.jpg

fiddlebackmachete018.jpg

All battoning was done on the same 4 in section of the blade. After battoning that section was used to test sharpness. Plenty sharp for getting kindling started.

fiddlebackmachete028.jpg

fiddlebackmachete030.jpg

Next up was dried bamboo. I wanted to use a very light snap cut above the bottom node to see if it would split the node. It took only the strength of my fingers to flick the machete through the dried bamboo.

fiddlebackmachete032.jpg

fiddlebackmachete034.jpg

fiddlebackmachete036.jpg

The tip was much more acute than most machetes. It drills very well, especially to make divots for a bow drill.

fiddlebackmachete037.jpg

fiddlebackmachete040.jpg

Last up, the flex test. Any good machete should have enough of a spring temper to deflect without breaking or taking a set. This one flexes easily and returns to true.

fiddlebackmachete041.jpg

fiddlebackmachete042.jpg

fiddlebackmachete044.jpg

This is my favorite machete, hands down. Andy designed this for the modern bushcrafter and I think that every feature is so well planned and executed that he has made the most versatile large bushcraft tool ever. :thumbup:

None of the slashing machetes I have used, including those in Nicaragua and Costa Rica, have had the handle cut out for the pinch grip.

I normally file/sand down a handle to get a shape that this comes standard. Nice. Any pics of the sheath?

EDIT: Nevermind about the sheath. I was so mesmerized by the blade i didn't notice it. :D

I normally file/sand down a handle to get a shape that this comes standard. Nice. Any pics of the sheath?

I file down the side contour of all my machetes but its more effort than I'm willing to put in to file the metal tang that far.

This is the only other pic of the sheath I have. It is very thick and solidly formed.

fiddlebackmachete002.jpg

I file down the side contour of all my machetes but its more effort than I'm willing to put in to file the metal tang that far.

This is the only other pic of the sheath I have. It is very thick and solidly formed.

fiddlebackmachete002.jpg

Hey Kevin, if you ever want a properly fitting sheath for your 16" Machete, I'll make you a good deal. ;)

I rather liked your review. Seeing the Fiddleback Split kindling then make fuzz sticks was really good. You make the same size kindling as I do for my mom's wood stove. That reminds me, I need to make mom more kindling. Maybe I should use my 12" Fiddleback to do it. Give me a chance to use it even though there still is tons of snow in the ground. :thumbup:

Hey Kevin, if you ever want a properly fitting sheath for your 16" Machete, I'll make you a good deal. ;)
:

Are you kidding, the price of your sheaths are about the best deal on good leather that size out there! I will need a sheath for the 16in but I'll have to get one for a 12in first. I will end up with every size, that's why I jumped on the 14in sheath you had for sale.

P.S. I have some more pics now of your sheath, will do a separate review. People really need to know how nice these are.

Are you kidding, the price of your sheaths are about the best deal on good leather that size out there! I will need a sheath for the 16in but I'll have to get one for a 12in first. I will end up with every size, that's why I jumped on the 14in sheath you had for sale.

P.S. I have some more pics now of your sheath, will do a separate review. People really need to know how nice these are.

Ahh, so there is a method to your madness. Now I get it. ;) Am looking forward to that other review.

Is there any chance we will see more action shots of your 16" :D

MD 25v, great review Bro and man I'm looking forward to getting my 18"!!! Way to go Andy...

Man you guys loving these things really makes me happy. Thanks for all y'alls support.

Nice review bro. Guess I need to edit you to shipped status on the 16" thread, huh! :thumbup:

Thanks, glad you liked it! These things are absolutely amazing! Most versatile big bushcraft blade I've ever used.

Yeah, the 12" 'chete is the next one I've got coming.

Sweet review! That 16 is looking good!

I had the same experiences with the 12. It did great at chopping, and even put in a bind while batoning the blade went right back to true with no ill effects at all.

DSC_2306.jpg

DSC_2308.jpg

DSC_2309.jpg

DSC_2312.jpg

DSC_2313.jpg

DSC_2315.jpg

DSC_2317.jpg

DSC_2325.jpg

hey mistwalker- is it just me or does your machete have a higher grind near the handle? does that help for carving tasks? i think ive seen dave cantebury and well as colhane do that to there chetes

hey mistwalker- is it just me or does your machete have a higher grind near the handle?

Mine certainly has a higher grind near the handle. I'm pretty sure it is purposeful. The near-handle part of the blade doesn't need to be as "stout" because you won't be chopping with it. Having the grind thinner there increases carving efficiency quite a bit.

Back