Review - Small Stars & Stripes Manual

I received my small Stars & Stripes Forever manual today. Sent by two day delivery the knife was packaged extremely well.

The hardcase is a nice touch and a good way to store/display a high end knife like this.

The fit and finish are impecible. No gaps, blade centered and expertly polished and ground. The American flag motif is superbly rendered and there are no chips or missing spots. The finish appears to be very durable. The blue anodized pocket clip blends well with the design.

The blade came razor sharp and easily shaved hair and cut 1 mm strips off the edge of a magazine cover page.

This is a perfect “gentleman’s knife” and being such a piece of art will probably not offend any “sheeple”.

It is not however, in this manual version, IMHO a self defense knife. The blade is slow to open since it’s difficult to get a good grip and push the thumb studs. This is due to the narrow handle, its slightly slippery surface, and the close proximity of the thumb studs to the handle. I have small hands and would expect some one with larger hands to have even more issues with it.

The handle style is very ergonomic and I could see where the larger automatic versions of one of theses knives could be very effective in martial arts.

Another issue I have with the small manual knife for martial arts is that a standard saber grip with the thumb on top of the grip isn’t very secure since the surface of the knife handle is a bit too smooth. Some grooves here would help a lot.

I usually use a modified saber grip with my right thumb along the left side of the grip. This prevents your opponent from loosening your grip with a pary from the right or losing your grip if the knife strikes something hard while it is moving towards the right.

This doesn’t work with this knife since that places my thumb right on the unlock button.

The bottom line is that for me this knife is not a fighting knife. However, since I’ve never had the misfortune to be in knife fight or plan to be in one it’s not a requirement. I will carry it on dressy occasions and to show my support for the USA. I will pass it on to my son when he is old enough to appreciate it. It is a well executed example of Ameircan craftsmanship, design, and art. For self defense I'll stick with my Microtech LCC manual for now.

A TiNives 4.25 inch blade double action with a rough grip texture and some grooves on the top near the blade would be an excellent fighting knife.

Thanks for all the encouragement you all gave me. I certainly do not regret this purchase.

Jerry - I believe Scott mentioned that he had some double actions in stock when I spoke to him on Monday.

David - Don't hesitate to order one of these from Scott & Debbie. Maybe if you and Jerry buy at the same time you can get a good discount.

Malcolm ,

Congratulations on your new knife . I'm sorry to hear it won't work in the original context that you ordered it for .

I am glad to hear however that you are pleased with the knife in general . They are fine blades . I may have a line on a used( mint ) 4.25 manual ( I'll let you know in a few days ). It's great to hear you are passing your knives down to your son . Hope dealing with Scott and Debbie was a positive experience . Take care .

btw. I talked to Scott today , about the double actions , they were being put together and will be ready Monday .

Best Regards ,
Jerry

Jerry,

I should have qualified something about self defense knives. I am very fussy about all self defense tools whether it is handguns, knives, or others. They must fit your personal style.

I'm not fluid grace in motion. I appreciate tai chi and kung fu but it's Shotokan karate that fits the way my body moves.

I have owned numerous hanguns and would feel comfortable with a Sig or Glock or S&W or H&K but the 1911 style of pistol fits me best. Maybe because 45 years ago when I was a kid I played "guns" most often with a full size plastic 1911. It became molded to my hand and mind. I only carry 1911's now.

It's the same with knives. They must fit your hand and your style of use or they aren't useful for self defense. I've tried and purchased and sold dozens of knives. They didn't stay with me because they didn't fit me.

The small TiNives knife just doesn't fit me for that purpose. However, it is a magnificent dress carry knife a true work of art. It is also a superb tool.

Let me know if you find that used 4.25 manual. It doesn't even have to be mint, just in good working condition. I'd feel bad about filing grooves in the top of the handle on a mint collectible knife. I'd get over it though just like I did when I modified my Randall Model 1 in 1966. I still have it and still use it.

I hope David considers writing to Scott and Debbie or maybe he can get their regular telephone number since he can't use the toll free outside the USA. The buying experience was great, Scott spent more than 15 minutes telling me about the knoves and his business.

I live close to Georgia, maybe I'll have to visit TiNives some day.

Back