Rex45 Military or Police 4

Currently debating between the Rex45 Military or Police 4 in K390. I like large folders, and I love sharpening. Both of these models sound amazing, but having a hard time picking between the two of them. Any input you all can give would be great!

Get both!
On a more serious note; what is your planned use?
They are both pretty big but for most ordinary tasks you might get more out of the Millie.

I prefer full liners and options for tip up carry.
So Police 4 for me.

I haven't owned a Police 4 before, but I recommend getting the Military.

I have a few of each but have not played with Rex45 enough to really share any first hand experience. I have plenty of experience with my k390 Mule Team. The sharpen-ability and edge retaining qualities of k390 are incredible. The k390 Police is equally impressive so far. K390 comes to mind for me when I try to think of a favorite steel. Rex45 may be right with it, I just don't have a clue yet.

Steel aside the Military is a bit more user friendly. The Police might need a bit of cleaning, oiling, lock bar tension tuning, and break in before it opens easily enough for my taste. That is not a problem to me.

The Police 4 blade length is over 4" by about 3/8" which can get you into trouble in more areas vs the 4" blade Military.

I have too many Spyderco Military and consider it my favorite model. The Police 4 is not far behind. The Police 4 has a thinner blade and an equally tall grind so it will slice exceptionally well. The Military handle has an edge in ergonomics partly by being the thicker knife.

20190318-124834.jpg

Last edited:
They are quite similar, so difficult to choose. Military is harder, larger Pivot, much larger washers, and easier to flick and maintain. P4 has a longer blade, cool steel for Spyderco, and tough/non-stainless liners.

I predict, if you like either, you'll end up getting the other one too. So maybe start with the Rex45 Military, as it's a sprint run and still can be had new ($182 at BBS) ?

I'm not sure there is a knife I enjoy cutting things with as much as the Police 4. It might be the K390, it might be the Ergos, but the package as a whole is incredible. REX45 is awesome and you really can't go wrong with either though.

w4M0mgQ.jpg

Agree with K Knibes and abbazaba abbazaba . Just want to add that when closed the two knives have the same length. I have no used/sharpened my Rex45 millie so I cannot say anything about the steel difference. I do use my Police 4 regularly on cardboard. The K390 steel does seem to be harder to sharpen than the likes of M390/20CV/204P and it also holds a keen edge longer than them.

ZBeIml7.jpg

Aw man you two are getting me excited about carrying my P4. No doubt the Police 4 packs one heck of a piece of K390. Perfectly thin and tall. The Police 4 comes with a grind that does not need thinning IMO. On the other hand I regrind a lot of my Military models.

Back