1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Rex45 Military or Police 4

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Strauss95, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Strauss95

Strauss95

Dec 17, 2012
    Currently debating between the Rex45 Military or Police 4 in K390. I like large folders, and I love sharpening. Both of these models sound amazing, but having a hard time picking between the two of them. Any input you all can give would be great!

2. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Get both!
    On a more serious note; what is your planned use?
    They are both pretty big but for most ordinary tasks you might get more out of the Millie.

3. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I prefer full liners and options for tip up carry.
    So Police 4 for me.

4. knife_fan

knife_fan

May 1, 2012
    I haven't owned a Police 4 before, but I recommend getting the Military.

5. Knibes

Knibes

Oct 9, 2013
    I have a few of each but have not played with Rex45 enough to really share any first hand experience. I have plenty of experience with my k390 Mule Team. The sharpen-ability and edge retaining qualities of k390 are incredible. The k390 Police is equally impressive so far. K390 comes to mind for me when I try to think of a favorite steel. Rex45 may be right with it, I just don't have a clue yet.

Steel aside the Military is a bit more user friendly. The Police might need a bit of cleaning, oiling, lock bar tension tuning, and break in before it opens easily enough for my taste. That is not a problem to me.

The Police 4 blade length is over 4" by about 3/8" which can get you into trouble in more areas vs the 4" blade Military.

I have too many Spyderco Military and consider it my favorite model. The Police 4 is not far behind. The Police 4 has a thinner blade and an equally tall grind so it will slice exceptionally well. The Military handle has an edge in ergonomics partly by being the thicker knife.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  6. ferider

ferider Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 20, 2018
    They are quite similar, so difficult to choose. Military is harder, larger Pivot, much larger washers, and easier to flick and maintain. P4 has a longer blade, cool steel for Spyderco, and tough/non-stainless liners.

I predict, if you like either, you'll end up getting the other one too. So maybe start with the Rex45 Military, as it's a sprint run and still can be had new ($182 at BBS) ?

7. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    I'm not sure there is a knife I enjoy cutting things with as much as the Police 4. It might be the K390, it might be the Ergos, but the package as a whole is incredible. REX45 is awesome and you really can't go wrong with either though.

[​IMG]

8. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Agree with @Knibes and @abbazaba. Just want to add that when closed the two knives have the same length. I have no used/sharpened my Rex45 millie so I cannot say anything about the steel difference. I do use my Police 4 regularly on cardboard. The K390 steel does seem to be harder to sharpen than the likes of M390/20CV/204P and it also holds a keen edge longer than them.

[​IMG]

9. Knibes

Knibes

Oct 9, 2013
    Aw man you two are getting me excited about carrying my P4. No doubt the Police 4 packs one heck of a piece of K390. Perfectly thin and tall. The Police 4 comes with a grind that does not need thinning IMO. On the other hand I regrind a lot of my Military models.

teudy likes this.
  10. Strauss95

Strauss95

Dec 17, 2012
    I ended up ordering the Rex45 Military tonight, a big thank you to everyone for the input!

TX180SX, Knibes and 5-by-5 like this.