Richmond arrived or tojiro dp

Sis in law is getting hitched. I'd like to get her some decent cutlery. I am going to buy them a 240mm gyuto,a petty, a ceramic honing rod and a magnetic wall mount knife rack.

As for the brands, which is better. Tojiro dp or richmond artifex in aebl? I will be touching them up either way, so ootb edge isn't too much of a concern.

Thanks

Sorry title was meant to say artifex not arrived. Bloody auto correct on my phone.

Depends what you want out of it. VG-10 would probably hold its edge longer, whereas AEB-L is easier to sharpen and takes and holds a razor edge better. Feel up to putting a hair splitting edge on the thing?

I was going to give them a mirror finish before I gifted them. Do you think the aebl would keep a working edge for a couple months of daily use with a couple swipes on a ceramic rod after each use? I don't really pay attn to how long my vg10 j knives hold an edge. I just touch em up when they don't push cut well enough. I do have a custom user in aebl that I am fond of. Seems to hold its edge well. Super easy to sharpen, which I like.

I was going to give them a mirror finish before I gifted them. Do you think the aebl would keep a working edge for a couple months of daily use with a couple swipes on a ceramic rod after each use? I don't really pay attn to how long my vg10 j knives hold an edge. I just touch em up when they don't push cut well enough. I do have a custom user in aebl that I am fond of. Seems to hold its edge well. Super easy to sharpen, which I like.
A working edge, yes. Though to be honest, AEB-L is more known for the "my arm hairs popped off my arm because the edge was looking at them funny" kind of sharp edge, which I believe is sharper than what a typical ceramic rod can put on unless we're talking about a Spyderco super fine rod for the Sharpmaker.

If it's your sister in law using and maintaining it, you probably won't be available to sharpen it. Though to be honest, ease of sharpening itself and a simple sharpener like the Sharpmaker would do well for the non-knife folks.

My best friend got married a couple of years ago and I bought them their first set of nice knives. I went with a set of 3 Misono 440's, and they are fantastic for the price. Korin has a summer sale going on right now, which is exactly what I took advantage of two years ago. A 240mm Misono 440 gyuto would be perfect, easy to sharpen, gets extremely sharp, it's super thin so it cuts through anything without much wedging and the fit and finish is amazing!

The Tojiro DP is one of the least expensive, most decent VG-10 steel knives out there. VG-10 steel holds a good edge for quite a while and isn't too difficult to sharpen. Just refresh the factory edge, look out for wire edges, and don't go below ~ 12 degree per side. The Tojiro blade is fairly thin for a cladded knife, nicely tapered, and cuts well OOTB. If anything,its' rather large and boxy handle, and f&f around the handle could use some refinements.

As far as I can tell, the Artiflex offers an AEB-L blade for very little money, the handle and f&f look decent. The AEB-L steel is pretty much the stainless steel equal of white carbon. It will take a much more finer edge, sharpen more easily, and holds an edge as long as VG-1O. The Artifex blade appears to be quite thick, doesn't have much of a taper from heel to tip or spine to edge / is more or less a stamped blank with an edge. It's going to need quite a bit of time and skill to thin, and shape the blade for it to perform well.

The Tojiro DP is one of the least expensive, most decent VG-10 steel knives out there. VG-10 steel holds a good edge for quite a while and isn't too difficult to sharpen. Just refresh the factory edge, look out for wire edges, and don't go below ~ 12 degree per side. The Tojiro blade is fairly thin for a cladded knife, nicely tapered, and cuts well OOTB. If anything,its' rather large and boxy handle, and f&f around the handle could use some refinements.

As far as I can tell, the Artiflex offers an AEB-L blade for very little money, the handle and f&f look decent. The AEB-L steel is pretty much the stainless steel equal of white carbon. It will take a much more finer edge, sharpen more easily, and holds an edge as long as VG-1O. The Artifex blade appears to be quite thick, doesn't have much of a taper from heel to tip or spine to edge / is more or less a stamped blank with an edge. It's going to need quite a bit of time and skill to thin, and shape the blade for it to perform well.
The thickness might be a plus, given the intended user. Far from just cooking skills, caring for a razor thin blade requires some caution. Might cut into a thai watermelon and twist the blade during the cut. At Rc 61, I'd imagine it would snap the blade in half.

AEB-L is a tough steel at HRC 61 and shouldn't run much if any risk of breaking. I would trust it at 61 much more than VG10 at the same hardness simply due to the differences in steel characteristics.

My beater 210 is an AEB-L Artifex. The steel is treated pretty hard and does hold a working edge for a long time. The primary bevel is thick and did take a lot of work to thin even before working on the secondary bevel. Now it stays hair popping sharp for over a month of food prep.

I also say misono.

They are known to have great fit and finish as well as great geometry.

AEB-L is a tough steel at HRC 61 and shouldn't run much if any risk of breaking. I would trust it at 61 much more than VG10 at the same hardness simply due to the differences in steel characteristics.
Very true. As I've observed firsthand with a Tojiro Flash Paring Knife at Rc 61, it is very chippy at that hardness and is tougher to sharpen than some lower alloy steels.

Back