Ridiculous budget blade-4 dollar Ozark Trails folders, good blade-pic heavy

Yo Mama

Gold Member
So while waiting for Spyderco to push out more s110v Paramilitary 2s............., I came across the big box store display for the holidays with a different selection of multitools, lights, and folding knives.

The Ozark Trail folding knives caught my eye, and the price, at 4 dollars. I've bought the pos lockback they made, but these just looked different, and figured for 4 bucks why not.

Let me say, I hate most of the entire designs from the outside, they are tip down right side only carry, they have thumb studs, and made in China. But they did have a flipper!

First the tan flipper, they don't really name the models, I'm impressed with fit and finish, no up and down play at all, flipper a bit slow but it has plastic washers! G10 for the scales on the handles.

IMG_0715_zpskpnhflfc.jpg

IMG_0716_zpsscgn3kgy.jpg

IMG_0719_zpsw1hsddbt.jpg

IMG_0722_zps5rtyii0p.jpg

IMG_0725_zpswrjhw7j2.jpg

Then I had to go back and buy the fiberglass handle tanto. I hate tanto blades, especially combo edged ones. Then to add that thumb stud. But again for the price I'm not in the luxury of being picky. The pattern on the handles is very close to the blue Benchmade 300. Blade is supposed to be titanium coated.

IMG_0747_zpsywmt2tlb.jpg

IMG_0749_zps0bazzefk.jpg

IMG_0753_zpsrfgy7scr.jpg

IMG_0755_zpsw11hxjss.jpg

Well, for stocking stuffers, I'd have to say these would be great for a trashing knife, something you don't want to ruin your good blades on. As a first pocket knife you could do much worse, I know they are nicer than my first knife. I have in mind a few people to be shopping for. Like I said, I've bought the dollar Ozark Trail backlock, and literally had it fall apart after opening it from it's package, these new models are light years ahead of the old ones.

I got the tan model tonight, I figured for $4 why not. Lockup is solid, no blade play, flipper is indeed slow but I haven't tried to adjust the pivot, maybe that will help. Out of package sharpness wasn't mindblowing, I wouldn't run my finger across the edge or anything, but you aren't gonna be shaving with it, either. Fit and finish is decent, not at level of Spyderco or ZT of course, but not bad, comparable to other budget Chinese blades like Enlan or Sanrenmu. As you said, it seems a decent little beater blade, maybe something you toss in your glove compartment, or toss on your tool belt/tool box/tackle box/whatever to use as a "loaner" if someone needs to borrow your knife. If they "forget" to return it, or it turns out the reason they needed your knife is because they wanted to cut a bunch of wire or something you're only out $4.

My Walmart didn't have that tanto model though, besides the tan flipper they had a black coated combo edged tanto with a black aluminum handle(with cutouts) that looked like one of those S&W "HRT" knives, and a short, wide, clip point with camo handles(dunno the material) that had the same (supposedly) titanium coating as your tanto.

Last edited:
I got the tan model tonight, I figured for $4 why not. Lockup is solid, no blade play, flipper is indeed slow but I haven't tried to adjust the pivot, maybe that will help. Out of package sharpness wasn't mindblowing, I wouldn't run my finger across the edge or anything, but you aren't gonna be shaving with it, either. Fit and finish is decent, not at level of Spyderco or ZT of course, but not bad, comparable to other budget Chinese blades like Enlan or Sanrenmu. As you said, it seems a decent little beater blade, maybe something you toss in your glove compartment, or toss on your tool belt/tool box/tackle box/whatever to use as a "loaner" if someone needs to borrow your knife. If they "forget" to return it, or it turns out the reason they needed your knife is because they wanted to cut a bunch of wire or something

My Walmart didn't have that tanto model though, besides the tan flipper they had a black coated combo edged tanto with a black aluminum handle(with cutouts) that looked like one of those S&W "HRT" knives, and a short, wide, clip point with camo handles(dunno the material) that had the same (supposedly) titanium coating as your tanto.
Let me know what you think I continue to use them for every task I can find in the house and they're doing quite well

I wish I could find those online or something. Looks like they'd make fantastic, cheap giveaways/loners.

I'm glad to finally see these popping up on here. I've spent the better part of the last year building the $3.87 knife program. We designed the knives to try and match the quality of a $20-30 knife without worrying about the price point. It actually isn't made by the same factory as the $1.97 Ozark Trail deathtrap lockback knife. That knife hopefully won't be around next year. The current assortment will last through the holidays, and then we'll start to refresh with some new designs in the spring.

That's unreal! But then again, I've picked up electronics and other misc. items straight out of Hong Kong for under $10.00 with free shipping.

I'm glad to finally see these popping up on here. I've spent the better part of the last year building the $3.87 knife program. We designed the knives to try and match the quality of a $20-30 knife without worrying about the price point. It actually isn't made by the same factory as the $1.97 Ozark Trail deathtrap lockback knife. That knife hopefully won't be around next year. The current assortment will last through the holidays, and then we'll start to refresh with some new designs in the spring.
Dude I would say you guys nailed it out of the ballpark with these. Excellent for the price, and offers alot of value.

As long as you appear to be the guy to tell this stuff too, a really good option in the future would be tip up carry, and a thumb hole vs. the studs.

Last edited:
I've spent the better part of the last year building the $3.87 knife program.
Picked the top one up today. Great knife. Very light weight. Ok now comes the thousand dollar question...what steel does it have?
I tried cutting paper and thin cardboard tonight and it dulls quickly. Stropping brings the edge back quick.

Dude I would say you guys nailed it out of the ballpark with these. Excellent for the price, and offers alot of value.

As long as you appear to be the guy to tell this stuff too, a really good option in the future would be tip up carry, and a thumb hole vs. the studs.

I'm working on the spring refresh items, so I will get this implemented - the tip up carry part at least. The factory I use does a great job with flippers but I will have to look into thumb holes with them.

I'm almost certain it's a 3cr or 420J2 steel. Yes, it's bottom of the barrel. Quite possibly it's the material that was used to make the barrel itself. When we're trying to hit a sub-$4 price point, I put safety and fit/finish ahead of steel quality. I'd love to do an 8cr steel, but not if the knife won't lock or the screws fall out. I know that Sanrenmu can do that at the $10 price point, so I will look into it. It's highly likely that my factory is making Sanrenmu anyway.

I saw those at my local wally world. I couldn't get myself to buy anymore knives but instead got a multi-tool from same manufacture. It's actually decent at the sub 4 dollar price point.

I'm working on the spring refresh items, so I will get this implemented - the tip up carry part at least. The factory I use does a great job with flippers but I will have to look into thumb holes with them.

screw holes for lefty carry would be cool.

The thumbstuds look fine to me. Those designs seem like they would be pretty hard to open with a thumbhole since the spine doesn't stick out that far.

The next step is fixed blades. No folding hazards involved, and Kydex pancakes are pretty cheap.

The old folders were bad.
But they certainly werent 1 dollar bad. The lock held better up to multidirectional forces than some more than 100 dollar pieces mentioned here once in a while. While insanely wobbly in the pivot it never folded on me. Even battoned it once into a branch. Wasn't more wobbly than before though I admit it's thumb stud didn't survive.
Just to be clear I edc better stuff and I was just experimenting with it a couple of times.
While it's certainly cheap enough to have one in every room and car compartment and backpack just in case the edc isn't there its still not a knife I'd like to put up to any task. The new one seems much better and still cheap enough to distribute a few throughout the house and cars.

Last edited:
I'm almost certain it's a 3cr or 420J2 steel. Yes, it's bottom of the barrel. Quite possibly it's the material that was used to make the barrel itself. When we're trying to hit a sub-$4 price point, I put safety and fit/finish ahead of steel quality. I'd love to do an 8cr steel, but not if the knife won't lock or the screws fall out. I know that Sanrenmu can do that at the $10 price point, so I will look into it. It's highly likely that my factory is making Sanrenmu anyway.
Steel is sure easy to sharpen though! Really for four dollars I don't expect s30v or anything close. I appreciate you focus on safety because both examples that I bought appear to be very solid no up and down play still after use and the oversized flipper just builds in a little extra confidence if it were to accidentally closed it would not shut on my finger.

Also one last thing speaking of safety the liner lock sticks out a little bit far and can catch on the forefinger at times, you may want to shave it into the handle just a little bit more it would still be functional but a little bit safer

Last edited:
I really can't put this knife down. Love the ergonomics, blade thickness, the safety of the lock and the light weight.
I'd pay 4 times the amount for an 8Cr13MoV blade. Best budget buy I made all year.:)

Back