Right hand, Left hand sheath

I don't understand why you would carry a knife on the right side of your body. I'm right handed and carry my knife on my left for one simple reason. The belt buckle is on the left and it keeps your knife from falling off whenever you undue your belt for what ever reason. I learned this from a near mishap in a outhouse years ago. I don't know if it's some quick draw thing, but why would you carry a knife on your right side. Just curious.

Personal preference, and or habit. I have two belt loops on the right before my knife sheath, so undoing my belt is not much of a risk.
Right hand people who also carry a side arm generally opt for left carry for their knife, or right carry behind the firearm. I also cut with my right hand and if I am holding something tightly with the left hand, drawing the knife from the right side with my right hand is much, much easier. Try drawing your left hand carry with your right hand. If I was left handed I would carry on the left. In addition, if the knife is a folder, but not an automatic, flipper, or some other assisted opening the a right hand person generally holds the knife in the right hand and opens the blade with the left hand so it's just easier and perhaps more natural to start the process by drawing with the right hand from the right side.

Paul

Last edited:
What Paul said. I'd add that if there's something between your right hand and left side (say you're under a vehicle or tight crawlspace), left side carry might be problematic? I typically carry fixed blades inverted on the right side a bit back. I don't carry large or heavy blades though.

Haven't found undoing a belt to be a problem, but if I did I'd likely just turn the belt over so the buckle was on the right.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm a bit ambitious. But you have some good points. Thanks for the replies guys

I'm fortunately ambidextrous and carry pistol on right and knife on left. I'm actually left handed but right eye dominant so I shoot right handed. LOL. Has nothing to do with subject, but just sharing silly stuff.

I'm right handed but left eye dominant. Heard somewhere it has to do with reading and writing, you generally lean towards your off side to read, write, ETC, putting one eye closer and in turn causing it to become dominant. And if you look at a lot of photos of cowboys from 1870 to 1900 you will see a gun on the right and a knife on the left, or a gun on the left(cross draw) and a knife in the right. Keeps them handy and easy to get to and all the while evening out the weight on your belt. With that being said, I don't carry a gun and it is natural for me to carry a knife on the right.

Back