Right handed shooter, left eye dominant solution

cj65

Gold Member
I took my dog and my 4 boys to Corona CA for some rattlesnake avoidance training for Gracie. (See sig line photo). I drove over 80 miles to be there for the training, but the trainer was a no show. I was a little miffed, but did not blame Raahagues shooting range, it is not their gig, they just host.

So, the manager said, "You are here, you might as well shoot!" I told him I left my gun at home. He supplied a 12 ga. auto and I bought 50 rounds, and let the boys do a little shooting. We usually do that up at Oak Tree about 20 miles from Simi Valley.

Little did I know the guy that set us up is a league shooter and trainer, and was willing to give the boys a quick lesson. I stepped back, told the boys to shut their mouths and open thier eyes and ears. The trainer gave them some sound advice, and all 3 older boys (young one will shoot in a year or two) did much better with their shooting. Then, even though this kid is 15 yrs. younger than me at least, he critiqued ol' fat dad. I did ok, and even liked his advice, it helped me quite abit. However, here is the kicker. ....

I am left eye dominant and right handed shooter, which makes shooting challenging leaving both eyes open. He went and got a piece of scotch tape and placed it over my left lens of my sunglasses/shooting glasses. It was enough distraction for my brain to let my right eye go to work. All I have to say is WOW! I really shot much better, more confident, seeing my shot, and keeping my right eye on the clay.

No rattlesnake training for the dove hunt, but I feel like my shooting is going to be much better than usual. Not that I was a bad shot, but now I am even better.

Give it a try, use clear tape, just a square piece or so, to interrupt that left eye vision a tad. You will use your right eye automatically to aim. I am really excited about this.

cj, I just shoot the long guns lefty and the pistols either. I smoked some experienced 3 gunners on a stage one day with a rifle to pistol & back transition by doing just that. I looked a little Hollyweird/mall ninja doing it but my score didn't lie:D

cj, I just shoot the long guns lefty and the pistols either. I smoked some experienced 3 gunners on a stage one day with a rifle to pistol & back transition by doing just that. I looked a little Hollyweird/mall ninja doing it but my score didn't lie:D

How about the spent round flinging in front of your nose? I may try the lefty thing. I think God put a thorn in my side making me this way. ;)

I also have the same issue. Been shooting long guns on the left and pistols (usually) with the right. Its makes for a quick transition when I can dump my rifle on the left (single point sling) and draw with the right instantly. Tape thing works good on the range, but I need both eyes clear- gotta train it like you use it. ;)

I also have the same issue. Been shooting long guns on the left and pistols (usually) with the right. Its makes for a quick transition when I can dump my rifle on the left (single point sling) and draw with the right instantly. Tape thing works good on the range, but I need both eyes clear- gotta train it like you use it. ;)

I am gonna try both ways Wed morn. Tape and no tape. I can hit birds without tape, but I want to see if I can hit birds with less shotgun shells. :cool:

I'm left eye dominant and right handed also, I just shift me head to the right just a little to get my left eye lined up, after a few hundred rounds of shooting like this it becomes second nature....I also hunt and use my right eye because I'm right handed......

I know what you mean about being cross dominant, I'm a good shot right or left as long as mu target has the decency to sit still, I think I'll try that next time I'm out pretending to bust clays.

Same here left eye dominate right handed;) Shotgunning can go either way :thumbup:as I can switch hit (baseball/softball):D and if you use a bottom ejecting shotgun such as some of the Brownings no problem. Pistols right handed cause you can move latrealy now rifle ETC w/ scope left handed, levers are great, right handed bolts :eek: well it is near impossible to get a follow up shot :grumpy:SOOOO you/I buy the hard to find, more expensive, limited caliber offering in a left handed ( if you/I want a bolt gun)!!!:p:D:eek::confused:

Shawn

Can sympathiize with us weirdo folks:foot:!!:p

cj65 for some reason I've never had a problem with hot brass out of long guns. I have had the wicked little .22 casing land between my shooting glasses and my forehead:eek: That taught me to always wear a hat! AR's can get nasty with flung brass along with the FNFAL and the HK91 and never had a problem. I never saw the point in the left hand eject AR's either. Remington 870 is my preferred scatter gun at least until I can find a reasonable Browning Superpose. The ambidextrous safety is an "extra" that I upgrade almost all of my guns to if possible.

You might not be able to switch your dominant hand but you can make your less dominant hand better, well if you still got your teeth. Brush your teeth left (or right depending) handed. It wont take long and your non dominant becomes a lot better.

Back