Rigid Thrower review

My first post, here goes!

This Taiwanese throwing knife can be found in a combo pack of 2 knives and a sheath for as low as $14 if you shop around (be careful, you can easily find prices $30 or over!)... that's right, two 9 inch, black finished, tempered high carbon steel knives (file grade) for less that $7 each (I've had a hard time finding knives with as good a length/price ratio over 6 inches).

It's a solid one-piece, 3/16" thick and the unsharpened blade length of 4 9/16" with a true center but I find it easier to toss from the blade. They leave a diamond shape in the wood when pulled out and penetrate reliably if thrown well up to an inch in Douglass wood. It seems to be nigh invincible in terms of bending, breaking, or chipping... these were my first throwing knives and I throw in my unfinished basement so they were bouncing off concrete all the time at first (I even managed to stick one IN concrete- by accident, of course) without scratching, breaking, or the tip dulling or bending. They DO however, ding, dent, and chip each other when they hit, nothing that can't be taken out with a Dremel or file, but if you're a perfectionist be careful... also, the finish will rub off the tip after a few dozen throws, again, not a problem unless you're into looks over function.

The final feature is the cord lashing holes for making a spear, but I use it to cord wrap the handle making it quieter when I miss. I can't weigh them, but they have a reasonable heft to them, by no means do the feel "light" to me (compared to the mail order junk often found in wrist sheaths).

These are my first and only knives but so far my impression is real good. If anyone else has any impressions please share!

Back