Rinkhals

Gary W. Graley

ā€œImagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Well, I've owned several of the Arno Bernard family of folders, from the larger Orca to the iMamba both plain jane and with inlay, and now the Rinkhals which I think fits my use a little better.

Orca
Mammoth inlay
Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

iMamba
Plain Jane
Kudu bone inlay
iMamba by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Rinkhals
Kudu bone inlay

Of the three types I just have the Rinkhals that recently arrived. I made a nice lanyard for it with a bit larger diamond knot to aid in retrieval.

The handle and blade really work well for day to day chores, a larger blade can get in it's own way at times. The shape of the Rinkhals blade brings the tip down lower for precise cutting. The back spring is strong but not too strong, so opening it you can feel that the blade will be kept in place while cutting.

The thickness of the handle and it's width works well for me, I've also own several CRK's but I do like these a little more. Nothing against CRK, just personal preference.

So thanks again for the 'boys' and their work, keep em' coming guys
G2

Last edited:
Well, I've owned several of the Arno Bernard family of folders, from the larger Orca to the iMamba both plain jane and with inlay, and now the Rinkhals which I think fits my use a little better.

Orca
Mammoth inlay

iMamba
Plain Jane
Kudu bone inlay
iMamba by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Rinkhals
Kudu bone inlay

Of the three types I just have the Rinkhals that recently arrived. I made a nice lanyard for it with a bit larger diamond knot to aid in retrieval.

The handle and blade really work well for day to day chores, a larger blade can get in it's own way at times. The shape of the Rinkhals blade brings the tip down lower for precise cutting. The back spring is strong but not too strong, so opening it you can feel that the blade will be kept in place while cutting.

The thickness of the handle and it's width works well for me, I've also own several CRK's but I do like these a little more. Nothing against CRK, just personal preference.

So thanks again for the 'boys' and their work, keep em' coming guys
G2
I'm hoping I like the iMamba more than I did the Lrg and Sml Sebenzas I owned. The lines are very appealing. I like the dropped point and overall blade shape compared to the higher clip of the Sebenza. Actually, I'm terrified I love it .. cos there's that darn yummy Rinkhals also calling me ... and all the inlays.

Gary, the Orca is a stunning knife!

I agree. For me, the Rinkhals is perfectly sized to fall into a small knife category.

I carry the PJ version quite often and it is collecting a bit of stuff on the inside, on the back spring. I can fit a Q-tip in there to get most of it. But I have been curious about taking it apart to give it a thorough cleaning. It is not filthy in there, just some of my OCD wanting to give it a good cleaning and lube.

I've never taken a knife apart that has a back spring and a little leery of doing it and possibly having difficulty putting it back together correctly. Not sure how pre-sprung it is. Have any of you guys taken a Rinkhals apart yet?

qHgzLDL.jpg

gTz3hwI.jpg

zqoEG4t.jpg

Last edited:
I've not taken this one apart, but I would hazard a guess that there is a pin midway for the backspring to be able to put pressure against the tang of the blade. Until I feel the urgent need to disassemble...I'll leave well enough alone ;)

G2

I do love the rinkhals. As much as I like the iMamba, I tend to gravitate to slightly smaller knives, so I actually like the size and blade shape of the Rinkhals better than the iMamba. If only the Rinkhals were a one hand opening knife instead of a slipjoint I *might* have my perfect blade.

I messaged Arno a while back asking if a one-hand opening version of the Rinkhals were possible and they said no, but maybe if enough people want it...

I had this one very briefly
View attachment 2434188
Sent it back because it wasn't what I ordered.

(Not a flattering shot - it's the one I took to show the dealer it wasn't what I ordered. I'd already deleted it from my phone; but you guys are worth the trouble to download it and post)
Ummā€¦what did you order? Canā€™t leave us hanging like this! šŸ˜‚

Brown kudu bone.
There's more to the story, which I choose not to divulge publicly; but the short version is that I was not willing to accept an exchange.
Sorry to hear that.

Back