RIP Tinkerbell

That's a shame Hollow. I'm really sorry. Sounds silly, but my dog is my best friend, and he's just turning 5 now. I don't know what I'll do when he passes on. If I'm really lucky it will be another 10 years or so. It's amazing how attached you get to these creatures.

All the best.

Norm

Sorry 'bout the dog man,what I'd do now is be watchful of maybe wild pigs or a bear...I know,I know I'm paranoid-but hey I've lost some cats 'cos of raiding tom cats and I'm sure cyoties (God I know I misspelled that :foot: ) so keep an eye out.

Sorry to hear it Hollow...cats and dogs are a gift indeed.

Svashtar said:
That's a shame Hollow. I'm really sorry. Sounds silly, but my dog is my best friend, and he's just turning 5 now. I don't know what I'll do when he passes on. If I'm really lucky it will be another 10 years or so. It's amazing how attached you get to these creatures.

All the best.

Norm

I don't think it's silly at all, Norm. Growing up, my best friend was Charlie, a german shep/collie mix. My folks got me that dog when I was 2 years old. They asked me what we should name him when we got him as a pup. I said "Charlie" after the Charlie Chapplin movies they used to show on a project screen at one of the local pizza places. He constantly took care of me and watched over the neighborhood. I remember the time that I got turned around in our woods. Not lost, really, but not really sure. I was probably 6. Ol' Charlie could sense that I was worried. He walked me right out of there. I felt dumb as it was probably 20 yards from our front yard. Charlie didn't mind. He was just glad I was feeling OK again.
We had to put Charlie down when I was 18. That's a great run for a dog. He couldn't move anymore and was really losing it in the head. His fur was matted and his eyes cloudy with the years. This once beautiful dog, proud and strong, was a shell. Noble, but ready to go. We had to use a .22 because moving him hurt him so much.
I will always have a special spot in my heart for my Charlie Dog.
Now, 7 years later my wife and I have adopted a little sheltie/beagle/rat terrier thing. By God, he is a great dog. Smart as a whip and so grateful that he has a home. We adopted him at 9 months of age. The poor guy had a pretty rough time before his stay at the Humane Society. Just a few weeks from his date with the needle he found a home with us. I have never had a dog that NEEDED to be with you so much. He never tires of his human company. I take him to work and the customers get a kick out of him. He charges the door barking with is tail wagging. They laugh. How many businesses have a 20lb attack dog (OK 25. The boy loves his treats).
My point is that it is natural to get attached to dogs, cats, ferrets, and fish. If there is a God and we are made in His image, then the greatest gift He gave us was the gift of compassion and personification and love of the animals with whom we have entered a covet. It is natural, and needed, and beautiful. Nothing speaks timeless Americana (or even just plain ol' human nature) than a boy and his dog (cat, ferret, hamster, sugar glider, etc).

Jake

If there is a God and we are made in His image, then the greatest gift He gave us was the gift of compassion and personification and love of the animals with whom we have entered a covet.

Jake - It's been a real pleasure watching you grow here in the forum. I'm glad you're here.

It never gets any easier. I've grown up with all manner of critters and I've burried my fair share. I shed more tears over a cat (16yrs) and a dog (14yrs)than I did for most of my human relatives that have passed (my Grandpa excluded, I still miss him ten years later). But I feel all the tears are worth what they give, which is unconditional love. My thouhgts are with you.

Frank

Steely_Gunz said:
I don't think it's silly at all, Norm. Growing up, my best friend was Charlie, a german shep/collie mix. My folks got me that dog when I was 2 years old. They asked me what we should name him when we got him as a pup. I said "Charlie" after the Charlie Chapplin movies they used to show on a project screen at one of the local pizza places. He constantly took care of me and watched over the neighborhood. I remember the time that I got turned around in our woods. Not lost, really, but not really sure. I was probably 6. Ol' Charlie could sense that I was worried. He walked me right out of there. I felt dumb as it was probably 20 yards from our front yard. Charlie didn't mind. He was just glad I was feeling OK again.
We had to put Charlie down when I was 18. That's a great run for a dog. He couldn't move anymore and was really losing it in the head. His fur was matted and his eyes cloudy with the years. This once beautiful dog, proud and strong, was a shell. Noble, but ready to go. We had to use a .22 because moving him hurt him so much.
I will always have a special spot in my heart for my Charlie Dog.
Now, 7 years later my wife and I have adopted a little sheltie/beagle/rat terrier thing. By God, he is a great dog. Smart as a whip and so grateful that he has a home. We adopted him at 9 months of age. The poor guy had a pretty rough time before his stay at the Humane Society. Just a few weeks from his date with the needle he found a home with us. I have never had a dog that NEEDED to be with you so much. He never tires of his human company. I take him to work and the customers get a kick out of him. He charges the door barking with is tail wagging. They laugh. How many businesses have a 20lb attack dog (OK 25. The boy loves his treats).
My point is that it is natural to get attached to dogs, cats, ferrets, and fish. If there is a God and we are made in His image, then the greatest gift He gave us was the gift of compassion and personification and love of the animals with whom we have entered a covet. It is natural, and needed, and beautiful. Nothing speaks timeless Americana (or even just plain ol' human nature) than a boy and his dog (cat, ferret, hamster, sugar glider, etc).

Jake

Thanks Jake! Well said.

N.

I love my dogs. I will cry when they go on. I still rmember my dog "Chum" when he died. I was 12. That was 50 years ago.

So I feel for you in losing a good friend. It hurts. I always wondered if there was something I could have done to save him. For a few years I was sure`that I caught a glimpse of him from time to time.

Strangely enough a friend (who sends me a lot of emails anyway, sent this one below, just today). Hope it somehow helps.

"Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year old Irish Wolfhound named Belker.

"The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him.

Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?"

The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

Thanks Y'all!

We went to two nights of concerts and I spend most of Sat hanging with Tinks brother to make sure he didn't get too depressed. He seems ok so far. My old dog Joshua, since departed was severely depressed for several years after his sis died so I want to try to head it off with Shine(Tinks bro)

HD... I just saw this. I'm sorry for your loss. Tinkerbell is in heaven... sounds like she was there with you too.

My Buddy is getting close and I'm dreading the day. His hips are just getting worse and I'm starting to find lumps. He's going to get a full exam on the next vet visit.

Bill... thanks for your post too.

Alan

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I have German Shepherds, they are like my kids, only better behaved.

Sorry to hear that HD. She did indeed look like a pretty dog. I had a Pyrenese for a while and he was the best dog. Take care of her bro and hopefully he'll take her spot in the herding. Prayers for you all.:(

I'm sorry, HD. Losing a pet is one of those things that is incredibly hard. They really get close.

Smoke for your pup.

Chris

Sorry about Tinkerbell.

We love our dogs. And amazingly they love us too, which is why their passing is hard to take when it happens.

Back