Rit Dye Question

Well, FWIW, I don't think it looks that bad, but if it is not what you want, then something needs to change.

I was reading over some of the prior posts trying to figure out what you may have done to cause that based on some of the advice given. I will throw out some thoughts.

First, I have never warped G10 scales by putting them in boiling water. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but the fact that your scales did not absorb much dye makes me wonder if your solution was not hot enough. I have seen that before. When I do mine, I suspend the scales in the solution using paper clips through the screw holes. Keep the scales from touching each other or any part of the pan. I use a reshaped wire hanger on the top of the pan and hang the paper clips from that. That way, the scales are not touching the bottom of a pan that may very well be hotter than the liquid it contains. I can see where THAT could cause warping. You also don't turn off the heat once the water is hot.

Also, in your pic, it shows a scale that appears to be disassembled from the knife. Is that correct? I know that someone said that disassembly is not required, but in your case, I think I'd want as much hot dye touching as much of the scales as possible. Essentially maximize your chances that the dye will penetrate and give you what you are looking for.

Also, what was your prewash procedure for the scales?

Well, FWIW, I don't think it looks that bad, but if it is not what you want, then something needs to change.

I was reading over some of the prior posts trying to figure out what you may have done to cause that based on some of the advice given. I will throw out some thoughts.

First, I have never warped G10 scales by putting them in boiling water. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but the fact that your scales did not absorb much dye makes me wonder if your solution was not hot enough. I have seen that before. When I do mine, I suspend the scales in the solution using paper clips through the screw holes. Keep the scales from touching each other or any part of the pan. I use a reshaped wire hanger on the top of the pan and hang the paper clips from that. That way, the scales are not touching the bottom of a pan that may very well be hotter than the liquid it contains. I can see where THAT could cause warping. You also don't turn off the heat once the water is hot.

Also, in your pic, it shows a scale that appears to be disassembled from the knife. Is that correct? I know that someone said that disassembly is not required, but in your case, I think I'd want as much hot dye touching as much of the scales as possible. Essentially maximize your chances that the dye will penetrate and give you what you are looking for.

Also, what was your prewash procedure for the scales?

What I did, was first disassemble the knife because I agree I want as much dye soaking into the scales as possible.

Next step, cleaning the scales. I used rubber gloves (the better half works at a hospital), and scrubbed them thoroughly with dawn dish soap in lukewarm water. Rinse thoroughly, and dry.

For the first thirty minutes, I let the water actually boil with the scales/dye in the pan. Once I noticed that didn't soak up ANY dye, I came back to reread what people said and decided to take the pan off the heat and let it sit another thirty minutes. After that, I noticed the scales had only soaked up what you see, and gave up. I did scrub them well with cold water and dish soap again so as not to get dye all over myself.

Not sure what I did wrong there. Also, I used the whole quantity of dye because I planned on just going all the way black with them, so I don't feel as if a lack of dye would have been the problem. There was a little over 40 ounces of water, IIRC. Maybe that was too much water.

OK, let's have a conversation and see if we can make some progress here. :) I'll send you a PM.

Back