River of Fire Damascus Sebenza?

dfsutton

Basic Member
All,

Just wondering, was the River of Fire Damascus offered as a one time run only? Or is it something that will be offered again in the future?

I believe it was a one time run.

The maker of River of Fire Damascus is Bill Burke. He is still active so maybe we will see some variants in the future.

That was a special collaboration Between CR and Burk.
If I remember well there were Made 10 Large Sebenza 17 Small Sebenza and 17 Mnandi
The inlay was a special one from Syringa Idaho State Flower

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!?! I never realized there were so few of these made. This is my 'grail' so to speak and I always have an eye out for them. I guess I should start using that eye for other things...

Ok. So what you're saying is that I just need to move on. Guess I need to go look at the other Damascus options.

Last edited:
They do show up for sale from time to time. They do go for a premium however.

This was a special "Idaho" build. Bill Burke and Chris both reside in Idaho and as mentioned above, Syringa is the Idaho State Flower.

Last edited:
That was a special collaboration Between CR and Burk.
If I remember well there were Made 10 Large Sebenza 17 Small Sebenza and 17 Mnandi
The inlay was a special one from Syringa Idaho State Flower

Here's the full story on the knife (from a brochure that comes with it). Very unlikely that we will see more of these.

“It was several years ago that Bill Burke supplied Chris Reeve Knives with three billets of his “River of Fire” Damascus. Bill and Chris had been talking at a show and agreed that it would be an interesting project to use Damascus of a new pattern that Bill had developed. Time passed and we could not put our fingers on the right way to market the blades but finally we found it!

Three parts to an Idaho Collaboration:

Bill Burke has spent virtually all his life in Idaho. An avid outdoorsman, Bill began making knives in 1998. He achieved his ABS Journeyman status in 2003 and became a Master Smith in 2008.

Chris Reeve Knives has been located in Boise, Idaho since March 1989 when Chris and Anne Reeve emigrated from their native South Africa.

The Syringa is Idaho’s State Flower. From somewhere (he has no recollection of where!) Chris obtained a block of Syringa wood."

I think there is some text missing here. I believe a store called Northwestern Knives was also involved in the project.

That right now with box elder is my "grail" knife. At this point I honestly thing I'd prefer the Mnandi over a Sebenza just based on looks. The hunt is just as much fun as owning them. So the search begins!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That right now with box elder is my "grail" knife. At this point I honestly thing I'd prefer the Mnandi over a Sebenza just based on looks. The hunt is just as much fun as owning them. So the search begins!

There's no such thing as ROF with Box Elder, unless someone makes a Franken. All the documented ROF's have Syringa (Lilac) inlays.

There's no such thing as ROF with Box Elder, unless someone makes a Franken. All the documented ROF's have Syringa (Lilac) inlays.
I thought it was Box Elder just by looking at them. I'm new to collecting CRK and didn't know the back story behind the knife as a whole just love the Damascus pattern. By far my favorite. Now to get my hands on one

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4ROFs-2_zpste4fxqst.jpg~original

Last edited:
Back